Non-Novell Clients

Dana Harrington harrinda at mctc.mnscu.edu
Thu Jul 1 01:07:13 UTC 1999

I can't comment on GW 4.1, as my experience is  5.2,x and  5.5.1.

On point (2),  POP3 does not have to copy files to the local machine.

This is a function of the client ( and I assume the GWIA config in how it handles client requests).

I have a small POP3 16 bit client I use from time to time ( fits on a floppy) that simply keeps the mail on the server and there are no config options to change it.  It is designed for students in computer labs.

I can't help much with pure DOS clients, as we dropped support for those systems about three years ago.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dana H

>>> "David Godshall" <DavidG at hesston.edu> 06/30/99 04:50PM >>>
We are still running GroupWise 4.1.  We would consider upgrading to 5.5
if we can get some answers to some questions.

1. We still have a few DOS computers and slow Windows 3.1 computers
(16MHz, 4-6MB RAM).  Plus, we would like to use some of these
computers we pulled out of circulation to set up some more Kiosk-type
E-Mail stations for students (we currently have some 286 machines
running the 4.1 DOS client very nicely).

Unfortunately, Novell in their infinite wisdom decided a DOS client was no
longer needed, even though they already had a nice one that could have
probably been adapted without too much extra trouble (wouldn't need to
add the new features, just basic E-Mail would've sufficed).  So rather
than whine and moan some more about it, I'd be interested in hearing the
pros and cons of any non-Novell client options available.

As I understand it, GroupWise 5.5 can do MAPI, POP3, and WebAccess.

1. MAPI seems the most promising, and there is a MAPI-compliant version
of the PC Pine E-Mail client for DOS.  Is anyone using PC Pine 3.96 for
DOS or Windows 3.1?  Could it be considered for a usable alternative to
the GroupWise clients?  Are there specific things it can't do or does
differently that I would need to be aware of?  When you send E-Mail,
does it do it via GroupWise and appear in the user's out box, or does PC
Pine send it directly?  Does it handle folders, etc?

2. POP3 copies all E-Mail messages to the local hard drive, which would
not work as well for the shared E-Mail stations, though it might be great
for access from individuals' computers from the dorm rooms or off
campus.  Nevertheless, if there any reason this might be a good option,
better than MAPI, for on-campus stations?  One might be the availability
of more DOS clients to choose from.

3. WebAccess might be an option if there were a decent web browser
for DOS.  There are several available (Lynx/386, Bobcat, DosLynx,
Minuet), but I don't know if they are stable enough to rely on.  Can a
person do everything via the web interface that they can with the Novell
Client?

I'd be interested in hearing from any experiences with non-Novell clients
with GroupWise 5.x, especially on older/slower computers.  Perhaps
even on newer computers, if Novell's clients are a memory-hungry and
some of the reports I've heard.

Thanks!

Oh, one more thing!  Has anyone had any problems with 4.1 Remote for
Windows not handling a Network connection when installed in Windows
98?  I'm having trouble with this right now; it says it can't find the
network path, but everything appears to be set up correctly (and it
worked in 95 before the 98 upgrade).

David Godshall, Network Manager
Hesston College, davidg at hesston.edu