[ngw] Was -cannot connect to POA via router - Token Ring?

Betty Watson tcwatsb at tc.cc.va.us
Mon Jul 17 16:38:12 UTC 2000

The list is getting duplicates of your messages.  Something is definitely not right with your GWIA and/or your router setup.

>>> "Robert Denbeigh" <denbeighr at anco.demon.co.uk> 07/17 6:35 AM >>>
Addition to my original post.

I have a gut feeling this is something to do with the LANs being Token Ring.

Any TR experts got any suggestions.

>>> "Robert Denbeigh" <denbeighr at anco.demon.co.uk> 07/13 7:25 AM >>>
Help !!!  Really desperate for a solution to this one.

I have a GW 5.5.3 server on a token ring LAN with 2 IP addresses bound to its TR NIC (one is 192.56.20.2, other is 200.1.1.200)

One IP address (192.56.20.2) is used for clients on the local LAN to connect via Client server to the POA and this works a treat.

The other IP address (200.1.1.200) is on the same subnet (200.1.1.x) as a router (200.1.1.1) which connects to a remote site (200.1.3.x).

>From the remote site I can Ping the GW server no problem, but starting the client and entering the IP address and port (1677) just will not work.  Interestingly, if I enter a 'false' user ID it gets rejected, but a correct user ID and the client just sits there.

I set up a remote mailbox and have found that I can send an email to the POA (with Send/Receive cycle) but when the client tries to Retrive Items, it just sits there again.

So, it seems I have comms in one direction but not the other.  Any ideas?

The local IBM people (routers are IBM used mainly for AS400 access), assure me that no ports are likely to be blocked.

Hoping desperately that someone will have some pointers on this.

Regards to all.
Rob