[ngw] 120,000 files mysteriously generated

Michael Herzlich Mherzli at nabi.com
Tue Jul 25 12:14:48 UTC 2000

My notes say, create file GWCHECK.CFG in same directory as gwcheck.exe with one line entered:
subjectlist

Run Analyze/Fix Databases on contents and fix problems against message database that is so big. This will create a file named SUBDUMP.  Look in file at list of subject lines and repettitive subject will jump out at you.

To get rid if the messages use the itempurge method documented in the melissa virus tid or create gwcheck.cfg with 2 lines

subjectpurge
place subject here to be purged

Run a reduce after you purge the msg db.

Mike

>>> tvissoc at scitexdpi.com 07/24/00 03:50PM >>>
Mike, mind sharing the switches to get the Subject lines?  This happened to me way back and I still have two msg dbs that are huge.

Thanks,

Tony

>>> Mherzli at nabi.com 07/24/00 01:22PM >>>
This happened to me about 4 weeks ago.  Lost 4 GB of disk space suddenly to offiles.  Per Novell it was probably a bad message that got "stuck"  If you look at your msgxx.db files you probably have one really big one.  I was able to find the bad message by running a gwcheck (requires version 5.5.4) with a configuration file that generated a list of subjects in my really big msgxx.db.  Once I saw the subjects it was obvious which messages were the culprits. Then run another special gwcheck to delete all files with that subject line then a reduce to shrink it.  The offiles were cleaned up by regular maintnance when 2 weeks passed after the msgxx.db was cleaned up (orphan cleanup).

Mike

>>> felix at busaff.usc.edu 07/24/00 01:03PM >>>
Hi,

Just found out today that some 100,000 files were dumped
in an OFFILES directory sometime around 7/13/00....

I just found out because my backup was taking longer
than expected on that particular directory and on close
examination I found 100,000 files generated around 7/13/00

The files are small files around 6KB each.  And looking at
the time stamps they were being generated once every
minute....

Anybody here have this experience before?  Anybody
know what could have caused this? and how to prevent
it in the future....

Took me 20 minutes to clean out the directory.

TIA,

Felix