[ngw] WEB Access wireless

Ted Christopher Ted.Christopher at tlc.state.tx.us
Thu Jul 27 19:20:07 UTC 2000

There's a "migration" tool, but I  am suspect that it only migrates existing mail, not archives, rules, address books, proxy lists, etc.

In that light, depending on how rigid your users are, the safest bet is using Novell's Outlook plugin, configure Outlook to talk to both the GW and Exchange message stores.  Then one, by one, move the messages over, and duplicate rules, etc.  That the worst case scenario. Of course, you'll need the Exchange Gateway running. Then there's the problem of the GWIA if your users want to keep their same domain name.

How can consultants honestly recommend W2K?  How many large shops have actually implemented Active Directory?  I think most shops are waiting for the first fixpack.

>>> cquan at kmesa.com 7/27/2000 12:14:22 PM >>>
I'm in a similar situation as well. After a systems review by consultants who have never recommended anything but M$, it looks like we will be moving to W2K and Exchange/Outlook. Specifically, how well does GW data get migrated into Exchange/Outlook?

>>> "Ted Christopher" <Ted.Christopher at tlc.state.tx.us> 7/27/2000 7:59:12 AM >>>
Would mind giving some details on your comparison of GroupWise and Exchange?  The leadership here wants to move to it, and I'm looking for the pitfalls and traps I might fall in to when we do.

>>> jhigley at sigaba.com 7/26/2000 3:24:40 PM >>>
Felix,

Of course I remember you.  Yeah that was a fun night at squatters.
Unfortunately I have left Allegro/Mail.com and no longer doing GroupWise
consulting work for them.  I'm still involved in the GroupWise arena as much
as possible.  But believe it or not and not to my liking, I'm working with
the MIS staff here at Sigaba on there Exchange system (I have learned so
much about Exchange, but the one big thing is that is does not compare to
GroupWise in the least, GroupWise outperforms it 10 fold).  We will soon
have a GroupWise plug-in and I will be back to my lovely GroupWise client.
(I take back all those late night banging my head against the wall cursing
the servers)  I LOVE GROUPWISE... hehe

Take care and I hope things are going well for you,

-James