[ngw] Email Retention Policy

Melanie L. Debusman MDebusman at ogdenlaw.com
Tue Jun 27 17:01:42 UTC 2000

Probably a silly question but - does the archived e-mails take up more/less/same space than when in normal mode?  Do you let them archive to the network or does it have to go to the C drive?

Thanks
Melanie Debusman
Ogden Newell & Welch

>>> "Martin Van Doorninck" <martin.vandoorninck at ferc.fed.us> 06/27/00 12:46PM >>>
We use a pretty common 90/10 rule.  All unarchived mail is purged when it becomes 90 days old.  Trash is purged after 10 days.

>>> Bruce.Bodjack at glcmh.org 06/27/00 12:34PM >>>
Would anyone have an Email Retention Policy that they would be willing to share with me?

We have retention policies for several other departments but none for MIS. I want to limit Email retention to 180 days, to help manage disk space, and provide a reasonable expectation as to our ability to retrieve information.

Corporate Compliance is a current incitive here, and we are looking at many aspects of our business that have risk and/or liability elements. Without strong language as to how long we retain Email (along with other records), then by default you should may be expected to produce records (email) going back as far as needed.

If anyone has and would be willing to share their policy, I would be grateful.

Bruce Bodjack, Network Manager
Great Lakes CMH
Traverse City MI
Bruce.Bodjack at glcmh.org

Any opinions express here are not necessarily the opinions of Great Lakes CMH.