[ngw] * GWCHECK.CFG Configuration option [FORCECLEAN] *

Michael Herzlich Mherzli at zlbplasma.com
Mon Dec 3 19:25:44 UTC 2001

Do you also expire the calendar?  You can have files associated with calendar item.

Mike

>>> jsievers at jhpiego.org 12/03/01 12:33PM >>>
Found 242 object records in this Post Office database (users and resources)
We run a monthly expire on e-mail over 90 days old so one could exist up to 120 days.

Typical example form from the log  file:

Examining LIN_RECORD [78499, Counseling video]
   Last Modification Time [Apr 13, 1999 - 12:50 pm]
   LIN_RECORD Type [1]
   LIN_RECORD Sub Type []
   Purging attachments and removing LIN_RECORD [78499]
          - Item 78499 deleted successfully

>>> tvissoc at scitexdpi.com 03-Dec-01 10:55:14 AM >>>
Out of curiosity, how many users do you have?  Email retention
timeframe?

I too have noticed old files in the offiles dirs.  In the past, I have
deleted old ones to reclaim space.  I'm doing fine now with a new server
and tons of disk space, but I'm sure things run smoother with less
clutter.  I'll be interested in trying this feature once it gets
included in a production gwcheck.

Tony

>>> jsievers at jhpiego.org 12/02/01 03:50PM >>>
I ran EP SP4 GWCHECK Field Test File rev b with the FORCECLEAN option
on a backup copy of the post office and had a dramatic results.
http://support.novell.com/servlet/tidfinder/2960743

"Warning:
Novell is not responsible for any lost items if the FORCECLEAN option
is used. It is very important to run on a copy of the live system and
not
on the live system itself. Make sure to have an updated back up just
prior to running the FORCECLEAN if you decide to run it against the
live
system.

This build of the GWCheck has additional code to do an extensive clean
up of messages that should not be there. When run with the FORCECLEAN
option it has the potential for deleting valid e-mail items: including
mail, calendar, notes, tasks and phone messages. It has been tested in
copies of several customers systems and we have not seen any problems.
However, it is a "RUN AT YOUR OWN RISK!" field test file."

It took 8 hours to run and almost immediately e-mail dated from 1999
and 2000 was found even though we run a monthly expire on e-mail over 90
days old.
When finished there a 23% reduction(1.6gb) in space used and a 30%
reduction(35,756) in the number of files in the post office with no
apparent loss of valid e-mail.

Over time the size of the post had grown and I attributed it to a small
 increase in the number of users and a higher use of e-mail for existing
users.
Disk space was not an issue with a new 18gb volume, but a full backup
was exceeding the duty cycle of the dat drive assigned to the task.

I had noticed files dated from 1999 and 2000 in the offiles directory
and thought they shouldn't be there, but stand alone and server based
gwchecks had no effect. If I tried to manually delete the files,
GroupWise would notice and complain when database maintenance was run.

Has anyone else used the FORCECLEAN option?
Does anyone have additional details on why GWCheck was not properly
cleaning up old message records and their corresponding files?

Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS, or DirXML
development needs and product information.