[ngw] Groupwise GWIA error 451 4.1.8

Bob Fiero bfiero at cl-law.com
Tue Dec 4 19:05:07 UTC 2001

Try this for a test, connect to the problem mail server and try manually sending a test message using SMTP commands. Practice with your server once first. Then go to the problem server and see if you can pass a message through. Check with the recipient to see if they received the message. I usually do this if the receiving domain is suspect to having issues.

Here's how. Telnet to your GWIA on port 25. Type in each SMTP command one at a time, keeping in mind that your commands won't echo back at you. Here's a transcript of a test I ran...

―-
telnet> open 10.42.69.100 25

220 cl-law.com GroupWise Internet Agent 5.5.5.1 Ready (C)1993, 1999 Novell, Inc.

telnet> helo test

250 cl-law.com Ok

telnet> mail from:<bfiero at cl-test.com>

250 Ok

telnet> rcpt to: <bfiero at cl-law.com>

250 Ok

telnet> data

354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

"Start typing a message here. On the first line, start off with 'Subject: test'. Press enter to start each new line. When finished, place a . (period) on a blank line by itself"

.

telnet> quit

221 cl-law.com Closing transmission channel.
―-

If you can't even initiate a connection to the problem server, perhaps you have the wrong IP address? What is the domain in question? I'll take a look at it from here.

>>> mr_puniverse00 at yahoo.com 12/01/01 11:08AM >>>
I tried that, I got the IP address of the name server,
and put that into the route.cfg file.  When I tried to
send mail to that domain, I got an error in gwia that
said: Command: [Ip address here
      Response: 450 Host down

What does that mean?
--- Bob Fiero <bfiero at cl-law.com> wrote:
> [...]
> testing shows it is a result of improperly
> configured domains on the remote end. I usually try
> to contact the admin of the affected domain, but in
> about 1 out of 4 cases I get responses filled with
> attitude and "My DNS servers are fine!" (When they
> are far from it)
>
> Fortunately, Novell has a workaround for GWIA to
> deal with those "1 in 4" that refuse to fix DNS.
> First you need to do a bit of digging around with
> whois and nslookup to find at least one DNS server
> for this domain that is working properly. Query it
> for the primary MX record and note the IP number. In
> your \domain\wpgate\gwia directory, create a text
> file called route.cfg. Enter one domain on each
> line, such as this example...
>
> bestweb.net [209.94.100.171]
>
> The brackets are required. Restart GWIA for any
> changes in this file to take effect. What this does
> is instruct GWIA to bypass DNS lookups for this
> domain, and instead send mail directly to this IP
> address. The downside is, if this domain changes the
> MX server address and updates DNS, you'll have
> undeliverable mail for this domain again.

> I am getting an error when I try to send e-mail to
> certain domains.  The error says:
>
> Domain of sender address <e-mail address of sender>
> does not resolve
>
> I can not find anything on this at the novell web
> site.  If anyone can please help me.

> Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting,
> just $8.95/month.
> http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
>
> --
> Visit http://www.ngwlist.com for help with the list.
> Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS,
> or DirXML development needs and product information.
>

> Web Site: http://www.cl-law.com
> ---
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail transmission
> (and/or the
> attachments accompanying it) may contain
> confidential information,
> belonging to the sender, which is protected by the
> attorney-client
> privilege. The information is only for the use of
> the intended
> recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient,
> you are hereby
> notified that any disclosure, copying or
> distribution of any
> information in this transmission, or the taking of
> any action in
> reliance on the contents of this transmission, is
> strictly prohibited.
> Any unauthorized interception of this transmission
> is illegal under
> the law. If you have received this transmission in
> error, please
> promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then
> destroy all
> copies of this transmission. Thank you.
>

> --
> Visit http://www.ngwlist.com for help with the list.
> Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS,
> or DirXML development needs and product information.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Web Site: http://www.cl-law.com
---