[ngw] Grpwise 6 SP1 - consoleone and nicknames

Holly Newman Holly.Newman at KJMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 5 16:53:16 UTC 2001

Danita (the GW Goddess) disagrees in her book.  Although it is not recommended or supported by Novell, she has been using NWAdmin to administer her 6 and mixed systems for quite some time.  What IS disastrous is to do database maintenance on a 6 system using NWAdmin.

>>> Kpeters at waukesha.tec.wi.us 12/05/01 08:40AM >>>
Hi,
>From what I have read and seen, it can be disastrous to administer your GW6 system with NWAdmin.  All my documentation has said that you must use Con1.  Now I hate Con1.  I think it is slow and cumbersome compared to NWAdmin, but I don't want to wreck  my GroupWise 6 system.  I have not experienced your issue with the nicknames and have created several with the dreaded Con1 and had them work.
Kathy

>>> WattsC at sbdc.com.au 12/04/01 08:20PM >>>
Hi everyone

I am having a weird problem with Groupwise nicknames and GWIA.. I am
running Groupwise 6 SP1, and from what I have read we should do all
Groupwise 6 Administration from Consoleone.

Anyway, the problem arises when I create a nickname in Console 1.3.2
with the latest Groupwise snap-ins. If a nickname is created in
consoleone and an email is sent from the internet to that
nickname at domainname... then GWIA returns this error

DMN: Transaction Failure (8101)

the message fails to reach the user and the returned mail to the sender
reads

****************
The original message was received at Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:00:45 +0800
(WST)
from localhost [127.0.0.1]

<nickname at domainname>
    (reason: 554 Transaction failed)

... while talking to mail.sbdc.com.au.:
>>> RCPT To:<nickname at domainname>
<<< 554 Transaction failed
554 5.0.0 <nickname at domainname>... Service unavailable

NOTE: nickname at domainname is not the real email - just a substitute I
put in for example

**********************

The weird part about this is that if I delete the nickname and
re-create it in Nwadmn32 then it works fine.

I didnt find any helpful info on the netware support site, hence I was
wondering if anyone here could help me with this.

Many thanks
Cameron Watts

wattsc at sbdc.com.au

------------------- TEXT.htm follows -------------------
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hi everyone</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I am having a weird problem with Groupwise nicknames and
GWIA.. I am running Groupwise 6 SP1, and from what I have read we should do all
Groupwise 6&nbsp;Administration from Consoleone.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Anyway, the problem arises when I create a nickname in Console
1.3.2&nbsp;with the latest Groupwise&nbsp;snap-ins. If&nbsp;a nickname is
created in consoleone and&nbsp;an email is sent from the internet to that <A
href="mailto:nickname at domainname">nickname at domainname</A>... then GWIA returns
this error</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>DMN: Transaction Failure (8101)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>the message fails to reach the user and the returned mail to
the sender reads</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>****************</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>The original message was received at Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:00:45 +0800
(WST)<BR>from localhost [127.0.0.1]<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; ----- The following
addresses had permanent fatal errors -----<BR>&lt;<A
href="mailto:nickname at domainname">nickname at domainname</A>&gt;<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
(reason: 554 Transaction failed)<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; ----- Transcript of session
follows -----<BR>... while talking to mail.sbdc.com.au.:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; RCPT
To:&lt;<A
href="mailto:nickname at domainname">nickname at domainname</A>&gt;<BR>&lt;&lt;&lt;
554 Transaction failed<BR>554 5.0.0 &lt;<A
href="mailto:nickname at domainname">nickname at domainname</A>&gt;... Service
unavailable</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>NOTE: <A href="mailto:nickname at domainname">nickname at domainname</A> is not
the real email - just a substitute I put in for example</DIV>
<DIV><BR>**********************</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The weird part about this is that if I delete the nickname and re-create it
in Nwadmn32 then it works fine. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I didnt find any helpful info on the netware support site, hence I was
wondering if anyone here could help me with this.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Many thanks</DIV>
<DIV>Cameron Watts</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href="mailto:wattsc at sbdc.com.au">wattsc at sbdc.com.au</A></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>