High Utilization on GW Server

Mary Van Engelen maryve1 at starpower.net
Fri Dec 7 20:59:34 UTC 2001

Help!
We've been experiencing problems with slow response in GW.  The problem
appears when there is high utilization on the email server where the post
office resides. There doesn't seem to be a particular time of day when this
happens, so I've ruled out indexing as the culprit.

Email Server: GW 5.5.4 non-EP with primary Domain/MTA/POA and an API
gateway on a NW 4.2 server (280 mailboxes).
Gate Server: There's a secondary domain/MTA on another server that is
running GWIA and WebAccess.

I did find that there was a high count (9,651) of "no ECB's available"  on
the LAN card of the email server.  So last night I changed  several NW 4.2
set parameters (minimum and maximum packet receive buffers, directory cache
buffers and service processes, as well as timing parameters related to all
three).  The changes I made were based on suggestions made in the October
1999 Appnote for tuning, optimizing and sizing GW 5.5.

I've been watching it all day.  A few minutes ago I noticed a slow response
while creating a message and ran to the server just in time to watch the
number of directory cache buffers increase. High utilization stopped almost
immediately. The "no ECB's available" count is still at zero.  I've seen no
increase in packet receive buffers either.

So, what's the deal with the directory cache buffers? I'm off to the KB to
do some research on it, but thought some of the great minds here might have
some clues as to what I should do next.

Thanx,
Mary