[ngw] High Utilization on GW Server

Sean Kirkby SKirkby at Concentrico.net
Fri Dec 7 23:16:14 UTC 2001

More than one of our customers have experienced "sudden" (i.e. "it didn't used to do that") and sporadic (i.e. no pattern and tough to predict) jumps in server utilization (and thus slow NW and GW client performance) which turned out to be caused by rampant viruses on their network (NIMDA in particular).

Infected machines were replicating infected files massively and sporadically and causing server utilization to spike pretty bad.

FWIW.

--sk!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Sean Kirkby
Concentrico, Inc.
P: (801) 221-7606 x204
W: www.Concentrico.net
Custom Software
Expert Solutions

>>> maryve1 at starpower.net 12/07/01 04:03PM >>>
Hmmm......interesting.  The high utilization just might have coincided with
our install of Z3fD.

Mary