[ngw] pop3

James Taylor james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Dec 11 01:39:42 UTC 2001

POP3 behavior is dependent on both client and server configurations.
A POP3 client will have a file (popstate.dat in Netscape 4.7x) that
keeps track of which messages have been downloaded and their state.  The
client and server interaction is defined by this popstate file and
whether the client is set to delete messages after download.  GWIA
server behavior is a little different in that when the client is set to
delete mail on download, GroupWise doesn't actually delete the mail
unless you set some GWIA-specific switches (see below).  Consequently,
if you access mail from another POP client or clear the popstate file,
you'll get those messages again.

There are a number of switches that can be set as at of the userid
setting in the client that controls the GWIA POP3 server behavior.  The
info for GW5.5 can be found here:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/gw55/index.html?gw55ia/data/a2zw2n4.html

The settings should remain the same for all versions of GWIA, but your
mileage may vary.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
Voice - 678-560-9702
Fax    - 678-560-2159
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> DRAKED at upstate.edu 12/10/01 10:43AM >>>
Can someone explain the logic behind popping messages in GroupWise??
We've
been doing some tests and it looks like it just checks the set number
of
messages, ie, 50, and confirms that are not on the local pc and
downloads
them.  If you have received more than 50 message (in this example) you
will
not get them unless you specify that you want 100 messages.

My perception of how this would work was quite different.  I thought
that
it would flag a message as downloaded and then exclude it from the list
check; if I downloaded 50 messages they would all be marked and the
next
time that I popped my mail it would exclude those from the list that
my
client would retrieve, thereby getting the older messages.

Also, it seems that if you change the number to download it will get
everything as if it were new.  For example, if I downloaded 50 messages
and
then realized I needed to get more and changed it to 100 to retrieve
the
older messages, when I change it back to 50 it will get the original 50
in
duplicate!!

We've only been testing this for a few days, but are anticpating some
heavy
pop users being added to our system.  I would like to know the
algorithm
that gw uses for popping mail so that we can determine what we should
use
for our default settings.  I am afraid that when I change it the
existing
pop users are going to get a bunch of old messages they already have,
so I
only want to do this once!!!

TIA

Dawn

Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS, or DirXML
development needs and product information.