[ngw] Backup Software

Dondi Williams donwil at mgc-mbc.com
Tue Dec 11 17:06:59 UTC 2001

Remember, test your BU software before you need it. Does'nt matter what the BU software utility states is on the tape if you can't get to it. Seen this too many times where one assumes that the data is good and retrievable, until they need it.

Now, to answer your question. Yes we have fully restored some servers from a BU. All went extremely well. I attribute this to our Net Admin knowing the limitations of any software package and working around those limitations.

BTW, we are currently using ARCServeIT 6.6 and works to meet our needs.

>>> BobMarques at don.com 12/11/01 11:00 AM >>>
Thanks for the input on Backup software, has anyone needed
to perform a full restore with their software due to some disaster ?
Did it go well ??
Thanks again
Bob

>>> ACQUISTJ at lan.newpaltz.edu 12/11/01 09:51AM >>>
Backup exec 8.5 runs well here.

Had some serious issues, but they turned out not to be BE's problem.
In the end.  At least the "main" problem(s).

Their support was generally very good, with a tendency to be a bit
"pat" in their answers.

However, their support also introduced a problem related to the wrong
TSA's.  This was due to an inexplicable lapse in communications where
the NW rev and SP level was mis recorded.

Everybody makes mistakes, and this one cost me quite a lot, in various
ways.  But, I am not moved to change to another package.  Strange as
that may sound.

Joe Acquisto
SUNY New Paltz
845-257-3134 (V)
845-257-6900 (F)
Is a Patriot one who acts in fear to preserve his Country?
Or one who acts, at risk,  to extend his ideals to all?

>>> "Bob Marques" <BobMarques at don.com> 12/11/01 10:12AM >>>
Looking for info on what backup software seems to be
"the best" for Novell 5.x and GroupWise 5.x combinations.

What have you experienced ? Arcserve 7 ., Backup Exec or
some other option ?

I've been using Arcserve for 5 years and this latest version
is not that great. Support has been terrible. 24hrs+ for a return
call.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS, or DirXML
development needs and product information.