[ngw] Backup Software

Chad Leeper chad at Capitalcityfruit.com
Tue Dec 11 17:45:59 UTC 2001

Do you have an example of your cron script?  I am trying to setup a cron job to unload and reload poas.  I have the ncf file created and working but have no experiece with setting up cron.

Thanks,

/Chad

>>> trodgers at ducks.org 12/11/01 9:25:13 AM >>>

Yes.  cron runs a .NCF file to unload the POA on our servers, then the backup runs, then cron reloads the POA.NLM for us.

Works perfectly on 12 servers everynight!  We tried doing "prejob" and "postjob" with the backup software, but, if the backup fails, then the POA doesn't get restarted.  So we rely on CRON.

Todd

>>> MBarham at hnncsb.org 12/11/01 09:20AM >>>
Do you use cron.nlm to do this?

>>> trodgers at ducks.org 12/11/2001 10:14:46 AM >>>
We are using Veritas Backupexec with wonderful results.  We use a cron job to shut down the POA agents during backup and then to restart the agents after backup.

Has "saved my bacon" countless times....

FWIW
Todd

>>> BobMarques at don.com 12/11/01 09:12AM >>>
Looking for info on what backup software seems to be
"the best" for Novell 5.x and GroupWise 5.x combinations.

What have you experienced ? Arcserve 7 ., Backup Exec or
some other option ?

I've been using Arcserve for 5 years and this latest version
is not that great. Support has been terrible. 24hrs+ for a return call.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

[Confidentiality Notice]
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you
received this transmission in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail
or by telephone (515-981-5111) and delete and destroy all copies of the
material, including all copies stored in the recipient's computer, printed or
saved to disk.