[ngw] Backup Software

Tom Miller Tom.Miller at nara.gov
Tue Dec 11 18:13:22 UTC 2001

Thanks for the advice.  I haven't had a change to tweak btrieve, now this will give me a chance.  For the record, our jobs usually get recorded, but everyone once in a while one won't write to the database.  And, we're doing hardware upgrades now.  Install new server, install AS, copy the AS directory from the old server over, load AS, restore volumes, done.  Works well so far.  So I can only partially complain.  I'm really annoyed about the datastreaming/multiplexing thing, though.

>>> dschostag at lindquist.com 12/11/2001 12:35:28 PM >>>
Tom,

I had to adjust a few settings on our Btreive database in order for the data files to merge with Arcserve 7.  Look at Doc 10133 on support.ca.com.  After making the changes to the file, the next backup merge the detail files and I was able to drill down.  This is not a retroactive fix, you would need to re-merge your tapes to drill down.

We use Arcserve, but are looking at going to BE.  Arcserve 7 has been problematic.

Network Administrator
Lindquist & Vennum P.L.L.P.

>>> Tom.Miller at nara.gov 12/11/2001 11:12:00 AM >>>
Hmmm, I might have to go back to BackupExec.  We went from BE 8.0 to ArcServe 7.0. AS 7.0 is terrible - frequently my jobs run but the records don't get recorded to the database.  Not to mention profiles don't work, multiplexing doesn't work on GFS jobs (unforgivible in my opinion), and it complains about hardware errors when there really aren't any.

>>> tvissoc at scitexdpi.com 12/11/2001 11:57:42 AM >>>
We use it.  When we started running Oracle on the HP platform, we began
using Omniback on everything.  It works.

I've never had to do a full system restore, but I have done selective
restores.  I really should verify that things are getting backed up
well.  We used to use St Bernard's OFM along with this.  But, when they
had to rewrite their software a few years back, I ditched it.

Tony

>>> Mherzli at zlbplasma.com 12/11/01 11:19AM >>>
Does anybody have any experience with the HP offering (Omniback?)

Mike

Michael Herzlich
Information Technology
561-912-3039
mherzli at zlbplasma.com

NOTICE:  This e-mail message and any attachment to this e-mail message
contains confidential information that may be legally privileged.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you must not retransmit, convert to
hard copy, copy or disseminate this e-mail or any attachments to it.  If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
return mail or by telephone at 561-912-3039 and delete this message.

>>> BobMarques at don.com 12/11/01 10:12AM >>>
Looking for info on what backup software seems to be
"the best" for Novell 5.x and GroupWise 5.x combinations.

What have you experienced ? Arcserve 7 ., Backup Exec or
some other option ?

I've been using Arcserve for 5 years and this latest version
is not that great. Support has been terrible. 24hrs+ for a return
call.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS, or DirXML
development needs and product information.