[ngw] Backup Software

Christian Tauber christian.tauber at cjt.de
Wed Dec 12 15:34:01 UTC 2001

Haven't had need for their support to often - but they publish service packs on a regular basis and access to the service packs and their discussion forum is easy.

Christian

Christian Tauber
cjt Systemsoftware AG
Am See 14a
76297 Stutensee

Phone: +49-7244-734111
FAX  : +49-7244-734120
eMail: christian.tauber at cjt.de

>>> Mherzli at zlbplasma.com 12.12.2001 16:19:47 >>>
How is TapeWare support?

Mike

Michael Herzlich
Information Technology
561-912-3039
mherzli at zlbplasma.com

NOTICE:  This e-mail message and any attachment to this e-mail message contains confidential information that may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not retransmit, convert to hard copy, copy or disseminate this e-mail or any attachments to it.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return mail or by telephone at 561-912-3039 and delete this message.

>>> gobermier at choctaweng.com 12/12/01 09:25AM >>>
We use a product called TapeWare from Yosemite (I think its really NovaNet by NovaStor under another name), and it has worked great for our small needs.  The two times we've used the disaster recovery option it has worked great.  Couldn't tell the before from the after except for open files that weren't backed up.  You just need to make sure you occasionally update your disaster recovery boot floppies (or CD-ROM), but it works as advertised- full NDS and all-volume restore.  We just haven't budgeted for their Open File Manager solution yet, since we typically only would lose some e-mail that may not be backed up yet.  Might not have all the bells and whistles of AS or BE, but I'll take stability & usability any day.  NEVER had a backup-related abend on our server since using it.  YMMV.

Greg Obermier
System Administrator

>>> BobMarques at don.com 12/11/2001 10:57:54 AM >>>
Thanks for the input on Backup software, has anyone needed
to perform a full restore with their software due to some disaster ?
Did it go well ??
Thanks again
Bob

>>> ACQUISTJ at lan.newpaltz.edu 12/11/01 09:51AM >>>
Backup exec 8.5 runs well here.

Had some serious issues, but they turned out not to be BE's problem.
In the end.  At least the "main" problem(s).

Their support was generally very good, with a tendency to be a bit
"pat" in their answers.

However, their support also introduced a problem related to the wrong
TSA's.  This was due to an inexplicable lapse in communications where
the NW rev and SP level was mis recorded.

Everybody makes mistakes, and this one cost me quite a lot, in various
ways.  But, I am not moved to change to another package.  Strange as
that may sound.

Joe Acquisto
SUNY New Paltz
845-257-3134 (V)
845-257-6900 (F)
Is a Patriot one who acts in fear to preserve his Country?
Or one who acts, at risk,  to extend his ideals to all?

>>> "Bob Marques" <BobMarques at don.com> 12/11/01 10:12AM >>>
Looking for info on what backup software seems to be
"the best" for Novell 5.x and GroupWise 5.x combinations.

What have you experienced ? Arcserve 7 ., Backup Exec or
some other option ?

I've been using Arcserve for 5 years and this latest version
is not that great. Support has been terrible. 24hrs+ for a return
call.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS, or DirXML
development needs and product information.