[ngw] High Utilization on GW Server

Fri Dec 14 08:29:57 UTC 2001

Mary,

Here's how install programs do it:

Create a text file named WININIT.INI in C:\WINDOWS with the contents

[rename}
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWWS2NDS.BAK=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWWS2NDS.DLL

Reboot your system.
If the file already exists, reboot before doing the above.
If you wanted to delete the file, you could replace the first filename
with NUL

The syntax is DestinationFileName=SourceFileName
You must use only local files and short (8.3) names.
You can have multiple lines with one deletion or rename per line.

When you start up, WININIT.EXE processes WININIT.INI if it exists and
renames it WININIT.BAK.  You'll see the "Please wait while Windows
updates your system files" messages to let you know it found something
to do.  There are no error messages I'm aware of, so if a file is
missing
or the name is misspelled, you won't know about it.

If you want to copy these files to workstations in a login script, you
want to check for an existing WININIT.INI so you don't step on an
install's finish.

This works only with Win9X.  I'm not aware of anything like this for
NT/Win2K.  They seem to require a program to call an API function.

I hope this is helpful.  I have at times used WININIT.BAK to see
what the last install program replaced so I could roll back changes.

David Calhoun