[ngw] Anyone using MTASieve with Norton AV Corporate..

Charles Nguyen-Huu Charlesn at groupwisesolutions.com
Fri Dec 14 22:09:49 UTC 2001

Please call the Messaging Architects for support on GWAVA: 514-392-1303. They will be glad to help you out.

Cheers,

Charles Nguyen-Huu

>>> MJL at crs.loc.gov 12/13/01 10:00P >>>
The GWAVA user logs in properly and has full rights to the domain.  The GWAVA directory (actually it was created as MTASIEVE) is under the domain.  I double-checked the NAV exclusions and they are correct.  I get the error message on the server console when the MTA first loads.  It also appears on the GWAVA log when any file comes thru for scanning.  The RealTime Protection status screen shows the last file scanned from several hours ago.  It definitely isn't scanning every file.

Martha

>>> manielse at advo.com 12/13/01 5:18:07 PM >>>
Couple suggestions:

Look at your NAV exclude directories and in MTASieve/GWAVA make sure your userid and server's fully distinguished name are filled in (example .UserID.OrgUnit.Org and .ServerName.OrgUnit.Org). Without those, virus scanning seems to not take place correctly.

I'm assuming your GWAVA root directory is set to the right location \\Servername\volume\whatever\wpdomain\gwava.

Make sure NAV is set to Quarantine and Delete if it fails. Also be sure that you exclude the folders WPCSIN, WPSOUT, MSLOCAL, GWAVA\SMTPQ and GWAVA\ARCHIVE directories from being scanned or else "virus scanning will be unreliable".

Just to let you know, you won't see files being scanned on the NAV screen of the server because these are system generated files it is scanning. You will only see these get scanned from the Symantec System Center when you highlight the server and goto RealTime Protection Status. If you see it scanning files in the VWORK directory and you've done above, it should be working.

Hope it helps!

Mark Nielsen
Sr. Network & Services Engineer
GroupWare Services, ADVO Inc.
manielse at advo.com

>>> MJL at crs.loc.gov 12/13/01 04:55PM >>>
I haven't been able to get GWAVA to work with NAV CE.  I get a message when loading GWAVA "Could not allocate permanent directory handle, virus scanning will be unreliable".  GWAVA won't do the virus scanning part.  Haven't heard anything from their tech support.  Any ideas?

Martha

>>> Charlesn at groupwisesolutions.com 12/12/01 12:18:14 PM >>>
You may want to upgrade to GWAVA... Works great with NAV.

Check it out: http://www.groupwisesolutions.com/gwava

Charles Nguyen-Huu
>>> erusso at bergersingerman.com 12/11/01 03:11P >>>
Can't seem to get an answer from Sieve guys on how to configure for attachment scanning.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thx