[ngw] McAfee NetShield Users

Sommer Sharp meaou at ufl.edu
Tue Dec 18 15:52:53 UTC 2001

we do the same thing.  I point the primary server to the FTP site, tell
the server to allow other servers to connect to it, and tell the other
servers (which I have 4) to get their updates from the primary server
name.  This is an IPX/SPX function.  As long as the primary server is
able to get the update from the FTP site, everybody gets updated.

Sommer Sharp, Postmaster
Systems Programmer
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Florida
352-392-4700

>>> William.Holman at co.sherburne.mn.us 12/18/01 09:56AM >>>
You have done the impossible...please tell all on how you did it =)
I spent hours with Techs trying to get it to work....

>>> brandon at kmsd.edu 12/18/01 08:39AM >>>
Our Netshield auto-update works fine.  We sit behind a Cisco PIX.  I
have one server set to auto-update nightly via FTP to the Mcafee site
and the other 13 update from this server later.

Brandon Kostolni
Network Manager
Kettle Moraine Schools

>>> William.Holman at co.sherburne.mn.us 12/18/2001 7:59:56 AM >>>
I have gone in circles with McAfee techs on this, I finally found one
tech that said that the "auto-update" feature will NOT work with
NetWare. It is an issue with the servers trying to get to the FTP site,
and it's due to it having to go through a firewall, not that it's being
blocked, but that it has to go through it.
I only have a few servers to update, and have concluded that we have to
wait for the new version coming out in late December/January....
Sorry I couldn't bring good news, but...try the Beta and see if it
works for you, I don't have any test servers to play with so I can't try
it.

>>> DRodriguez at counciltravel.com 12/17/01 05:44PM >>>
Does anybody know how to automate, Netshield 4.5 virus definition
update automatic process into multiple remote servers from one
location.
I have to setup the automatic virus definition update process to about
80 remote servers, but it seems to be very time consuming to do it one
by one through McAfee Netware Console.
Here is another one. How do you quickly effectively deploy a new virus
definition update to multiple remote servers?
Since we are new using McAfee Any information that you will provide
will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Douglas Rodriguez
Technical Support @ CT

Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS, or DirXML
development needs and product information.