[ngw] Re: GW5.5 and intermittent PING (and AOL?)

Eric Lanyon elanyon at rfi.com
Tue Dec 18 21:52:19 UTC 2001

arp is a DOS command...not a nlm.

Something to check, routing tables on the workstation (route print   from the DOS prompt).  We had some funky WINS issues and it ended up routing tables were all funky.

>>> ACQUISTJ at lan.newpaltz.edu 12/18/01 01:24PM >>>
hmmm.  idea.  No other complaints have hit my ears.  But then, the young
and reckless can be hard to catch.

I dunno of any "arp.nlm" or such for nw5.0.  or may be I just need a
break.

joea/

>>> "David Clayton" <Davidc at epworth.org.au> 12/18/01 05:18PM >>>
Do an "arp -a" on the PC and the equivalent on the GroupWise box to
check the MAC addresses.

Possibly there is another PC with the same IP address and the GW box is
trying to reply to the wrong MAC address?

Regards,

David Clayton
Infrastructure Planning & Projects Co-ordinator
Epworth Hospital, Phone +61-3-9426 6395, fax +61-3-9429 5659

>>> "Joe Acquisto" <ACQUISTJ at lan.newpaltz.edu> 18/12/2001 5:41:22 >>>
I am at wit's end.  Sure, it was a short trip, but still fun.

I have one user/PC that cannot access GW after some while of being
powered on.  PING fails, to the GW server, but continues to succeed to
other servers on the same subnet.

Changed NIC, force to 10/HD (?) and reinstalled client (NW and GW) and
Winsock2 upgrade.

If I reboot, things work, for a while.  No one else in that building
has any problems.  AOL (5.x) seems to be at issue, but, it seems not
likely that it can cause ping to fail to a particular address.

What else can I look at?

Joe Acquisto
SUNY New Paltz
845-257-3134 (V)
845-257-6900 (F)
Is a Patriot one who acts in fear to preserve his Country?
Or one who acts, at risk,  to extend his ideals to all?

Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS, or DirXML
development needs and product information.