[ngw] Way off Topic

Joe Acquisto ACQUISTJ at lan.newpaltz.edu
Wed Dec 19 17:55:27 UTC 2001

Apply the patches from MS.  It hardly hurts at all.  One of the issues
is failure to release renew properly.  However, according to them, using
"all MS' makes everything good, so this "can't be the problem", you
see.

joea/

>>> "Eric Lanyon" <elanyon at rfi.com> 12/19/01 12:28PM >>>
DHCP server is local to the LAN...NT 4 SP6a.  I think you nailed it,
the majority (if not all) are either 98 First Ed or 95...hmm, now the
question is do I reinstall or release/renew every so often.

Thanks for the info.

>>> ACQUISTJ at lan.newpaltz.edu 12/19/01 09:17AM >>>
Where/What is the DHCP server?  If it is not "pure" MS, then likely
you
need patches for DHCP on the 9x boxes (tho 98/se is supposed to be
natively better).  There are several issues with early MD DHCP for 9x
that prevent it from playing nice with "un enhanced" DHCP servers.

Joe Acquisto
SUNY New Paltz
845-257-3134 (V)
845-257-6900 (F)
Is a Patriot one who acts in fear to preserve his Country?
Or one who acts, at risk,  to extend his ideals to all?

>>> "Eric Lanyon" <elanyon at rfi.com> 12/19/01 12:11PM >>>
This isn't a GW or Novell question, but thought I would throw this out
to the masses:

I have several Win9x boxes on my network mingled with some NT W/S and
2000 Pro.  On the 9x boxes, at times when they obtain their DHCP
assignments they don't get the correct subnet mask.  It should be
255.255.255.0  but they will get all 255 or 255.255.0.0.  If I release
and renew the IP the problem is corrected and all is happy again.
This
happens on and off....any Reg Hacks or suggestions on fixing this?  I
can't go static on 200 machines.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
eric

Eric Lanyon, MCP
Network Administrator
RFI Enterprises, Inc.

Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS, or DirXML
development needs and product information.