[ngw] Fwd: Why They Lie

Dondi Williams donwil at mgc-mbc.com
Thu Dec 20 02:43:37 UTC 2001

Think we should look a little deeper at the  statement "...at web serving, nothing beats linux/apache...". I believe the latest tests show that NetWare 6 and (forgot the web server) were the fastest by a considerable margin. I will look for the document and source stating this and post it when I find it.

Dondi L. Williams  CHA, CNA, CNS, CUA
Director, Management Information Systems
S. H. Leggitt Co.
512-396-0707 - voice
512-396-2217 - fax
donwil at mgc-mbc.com
>>> cbromley at home.com 12/19/01 18:59 PM >>>
Another 'Novell should market better' thread.. woohoo! I agree, however, they should market better.  They've been getting beat up by MS enough.. *I* am tired of trying to defend Novell from the bosses that only know M$...yet, I do so on a daily basis...

Thank god for their price cuts for education and upgrade prices, or we'd be using Exchange right now and hiring more people just to take care of it.... *whew*

Anyway, I have ALWAYS thought that one of the things Novell needs to do is buy a company whose product is on every desktop.  McAffee or Symantec virus scanning products, etc.. that way, at least people become FAMILIAR with the name Novell.  Not enough upper management is even familiar with the name.. yet, they see Microsoft every tme they turn their computer on..That's the biggest marketing scheme M$ has going, and noone can touch it!

At any rate, I'd love to see Novell make a REALLY big deal about their server software, and issue a public challenge to M$ to compete in a variety of tests against Netware, publically.  Make sure that every magazine, tv show etc knows of the challenge, and wait for the response... they won't show up because they would lose.. but it might make a strong point if the challenge could be well known...

However, no matter how much advertising goes out there.. the true techs of the world still have the same ideas... for database serving, NT is good at it.. for web serving, nothing beats linux/apache... for file and print sharing/network security, netware all the way.

Problem is.. Novell markets to the techies.... Microsoft markets to their bosses.