[ngw] Mailbomb-Gwia hacked through telnet

Mark Nielsen manielse at advo.com
Thu Dec 20 17:35:12 UTC 2001

If you do this, you will disable mail coming into your system.

Mark Nielsen
Sr. Network & Services Engineer
GroupWare Services, ADVO Inc.
manielse at advo.com

>>> elanyon at rfi.com 12/20/01 12:24PM >>>
If they are "hacking" GWIA from the outside, block the port on the firewall.

>>> chad at Capitalcityfruit.com 12/20/01 07:18AM >>>
My email server was hit by a mailbomb the other day.  Apparently there is a "feature" built into the gwia that allows you to Telnet directly into the gwia and drop in messages.  This supposed to be for testing.

The problem I am having is someone is telneting into my gwia and dropping in several thousand messages.  using my server as a relay server.  I have relaying disabled and I have gwia field test patch for sp4 installed.

I am running GW 5.5 EP sp2.  Has anyone else had this problem or now how to disable this feature?

I do have Guinevere set to delete the messages as they come in but, this is still eating up bandwidth.  I want to prevent them from coming in at all.

I seen a TID on Novell describes a way to disable this "feature" in GroupWise 6.  Can anyone confirm this?  Danita??

Thanks,

Chad

[Confidentiality Notice]
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you
received this transmission in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail
or by telephone (515-981-5111) and delete and destroy all copies of the
material, including all copies stored in the recipient's computer, printed or
saved to disk.