[ngw] Fwd: Why They Lie

John Mckean John.Mckean at state.or.us
Fri Dec 21 16:28:19 UTC 2001

I would argue that these tactics are effective and *ARE* the way you sell your products. Technical issues aside it is the buzz that sells the product. Take as an example the "Pet Rock" of many years ago. This was a completely useless product whose primary function was to sit on a shelf and collect dust yet it sold millions. Why? because of the buzz. If Novell can elicit extreme reactions and create a buzz around the many superior products it sells than I say GO FOR IT. I agree that Microsoft has been putting, "misleading statements in their promotional ads" for years and what is the result? Increased market share and domination. People get burned every single day running M$ products and yet they continue to climb back on the horse day after day. Why? It's the buzz.

How about and ad that state, "Novell puts secret code in server software to exploit Microsoft security vulnerabilities" Naw, to easy of a target :)

John R. McKean
Systems Administrator
Oregon State Lottery
(503) 540-1462

>>> manielse at advo.com 12/19/01 12:05PM >>>
I completely agree. Although I love the site, it really is unprofessional for a company like Novell. You'd expect this type of tactic for some young Internet startup that is trying to make a name for themselves. It almost makes them look desperate and struggling to stay alive.

That being said, Novell has to figure out a way to promote the quality of software they provide and the weaknesses of competitive products. Yes we know M$ puts misleading statements in their promotional ads and Novell needs to prove them wrong, but that is *NOT* the way you sell your product. I'm not saying to turn the cheek but you can't sell programs, political campaigns, etc with negative advertising as your main channel.

Novell needs to go back to the commercial and magazine ideas only explain things better than capturing fireflies! I was really hoping that the Cambridge merger was going to address this but they haven't so far. How hard is it to create a commercial on NetWare showing a quite office environment and then show the 'other guy' running around like crazy rebooting boxes? Or how hard is it to focus on Sales Department coming into work one day and ZENWorks is updating the latest critical application, a non-technical HR person getting over-the-shoulder support from the help desk and IT has an inventory of all software on a machine. You can do the same with GroupWise, DirXML, BorderManager, etc.....

The point is GET YOUR PRODUCTS OUT THERE! Yes, an average TV viewer may not understand everything but they will know that this is good stuff and they need it in their company. It's like the IBM commercials, if your CIO see them enough, they'll get interested an take a look.

Novell : iNNovatioN powered by techNology that works!

Mark Nielsen
Sr. Network & Services Engineer
GroupWare Services, ADVO Inc.
manielse at advo.com

>>> dschostag at lindquist.com 12/19/01 01:29PM >>>

I recieved this as well, however I'm not impressed.  Why is Novell resorting to such childish behavior?  Don't get me wrong, I love Novell products and defend them every chance I get, but this seems a bit over the top.  Not very professional.

Network Administrator
Lindquist & Vennum P.L.L.P.

>>> Eric at sentgroup.com 12/19/2001 12:23:59 PM >>>
Anyone else receive the attached?  Finally, something assertive . . . Now they just have to figure out how to clue in the decision-makers (the non-tech people who watch M$ TV ads and read M$ ads in mainstream publications)

Eric

PS - I know, the contents of this message are obviously not confidential even though the disclaimer thing says they are :0)

Please note that the contents of this message and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. The contents herein are solely for the use of the intended recipient and access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer.   Thank you.

Please review other disclosure information at http://www.sentgroup.com/disc.html