[ngw] GW to Exchange gateway

Glen Johnson gjohnson at vh.cc.va.us
Tue Jan 2 01:13:39 UTC 2001

Thanks.  In our situation the software cost to switch to exchange would be nil.  Our school participates in the Microsoft Campus Agreement which gives us client licences for exchange as well as many other MS titles.  Office, SQL, Windows desktop os .....
Training and migration costs would be a consideration.  We are a fairly small school with about 200 mailboxes so I think our current GW server would handle the exchange load just fine.  Only problem is we would need a second server for the period while we are migrating.
I personally would love to stay with GW and find some way to connect the two systems.  Cisco tells us they may have a GW gateway but we aren't holding our breath.  Same as with the stuff from Novell referenced in the TID.  Can't count on vapor ware.

>>> jsievers at jhpiego.org 01/01/01 07:02PM >>>
Yes , the EP client can access pop3 or imap accounts.
I would think a license aggreement for EP now with upgrade protection for Bulletproof would be much cheaper that switching to Exchange.
I would be concerned about the bandwith and disk storage requirements when integrating.

>From TID 10056533

Conversation Place, an add on utility that integrates GroupWise 5.5 and GroupWise 5.5 Enhancement Pack with TSAPI compliant PBXs and TAPI 2 compliant modems, will not be included with the next major GroupWise release (code name BulletProof). The existing utility will not work with the BulletProof client.

Users who wish to continue to use Conversation Place will need to continue use their existing GroupWise clients. Note that users will have the ability to use their current GroupWise 5.5 and GroupWise 5.5 Enhancement Pack clients with BulletProof agents.

The direction to move away from legacy PBX interfaces is consistent with Novell's vision of "one Net." The TSAPI and TAPI PBX interfaces to PBX are generally vendor specific, and require proprietary hardware and software configuration.

Our future direction with focus on leveraging "converged networks," where voice and data are managed and transported via the same infrastructure. The widespread use of Instant Messaging capabilities, which extends to IP Voice and IP Video Conferencing are the first evidence of this important trend. GroupWise and our development partners will leverage standards, such as the H.323 protocol and VPIM (Voice Protocol for Internet Messaging) to ensure that our customers can leverage these technologies as they emerge.

>>> gjohnson at vh.cc.va.us 01-Jan-01 12:55:14 PM >>>
The Active Voice mail system uses Exchange to store voice mail.
Doesn't the EP client have the ability to connect to an external POP3 account?
I think that is the way they envision it working.

>>> harrinda at mctc.mnscu.edu 12/31/00 05:40PM >>>
Hi,

I am currently involved with PBX and VOIP phone projects.

You noted:
>Due to the cost, moving to EP may not be an option

Did CISCO indicate that this would work with EP as the backend?

Or are they committed to MS EXCHANGE for your project?

More details needed.

Thanks

Dana

>>> "Glen Johnson" <gjohnson at vh.cc.va.us> 12/30/00 11:48PM >>>
I know yall hate to hear these kinds of questions but I just have to ask.
We are looking at the Cisco IP phone system with the Active Voice mail system which uses exchange for voice mail storage.
Anyone have any experience good or bad and suggestions as to how to connect the two systems.  Would like to be able to see voice mail appear in the GW mailbox.  Don't want to just forward the mail as we also want to be able to play the voice mail over the phone.  Due to the cost, moving to EP may not be an option.  We are currently GW 5.5.4.

If this can't be done, it looks like we might have to move to Exchange for email as well.  Yuck.
TIA
Glen