[ngw] Correct way to use vacation rule please?

Jim Cusson JCusson at compassbank.com
Wed Jan 3 20:37:47 UTC 2001

I know I'm a bit late here but...
I've seen several responses discussing internet E-Mail, can't you (and shouldn't you) configure GWIA to NOT process rule generated messages?  Then you only need to worry about one rule and ensuring you "reply to sender" and not "reply to all".

As to the message below, the simple fact of the matter is our users *do* expect a response, if not immediately then within a very short time frame.  Aside from sending an e-mail to all users it would be very difficult to ensure that all who would expect a response in a short period of time were informed of a vacation.  In short, this is an issue regarding both customer service *and* customer expectations.  Yes, I consider my users to be my customers.

Jim Cusson
Technology Projects Manager
CompassBank
One Compass Place
New Bedford, MA 02740

>>> KPARRIS at SDE.State.SC.US 12/29/00 05:57PM >>>
The best vacation rule is NO vacation rule.  Email is a background batch-mode type of communication, and if someone is expecting immediate response to it then they're mixed up.

If there are people who need to know that you are on vacation, tell them before you leave.

If there are work-related activities that need to be handled via email in your absence, give an associate access to your mailbox so they can take care of it.  Or setup a means for accessing your mailbox remotely while away from the office, and take care of it yourself.

Then you don't need any troublesome auto-reply rule.

>>> SRUSH at acas.org.uk 12/22/00 07:41AM >>>
Can someone advide me best way to use a vacation rule that only acts on incoming (internal) e-mail please? I usually do an  'if  "to" includes <my name' reply with <whatever>, but to exclude replies to external e-mails is it best to have a 'does not contain' an "@" symbol?
Seasons Greetings all & thanks in advance.