[ngw] GW 5.5.2 NW4.11 server OS AND hardware upgrade

Todd Rodgers trodgers at ducks.org
Fri Jan 5 04:45:39 UTC 2001

I have done this many times and with great success.  Shoot me an e-mail off the list and I can tell you exactly what to do.  BE SURE before you migrate from the old server  to the new, go to the old server's console prompt and type "load dsrepair -rc "  This will make a backup copy of NDS on the old server and will help if Novell has to restore it for you from sys:\_netware
Migration wizard is excellent if you prepare first...and they are correct about GW, you can just copy the stuff over.  You will have the option of copying the old sys:\system over to sys:\sys.mig directory, you will want to do this so you can get the old GW files.

Thanks,
Todd Rodgers
CCNA, MCSE, CNA-4, Groupwise CNA-5, MCP, MCP+I
Manager of Network Operations
trodgers at ducks.org
Ducks Unlimited, Inc.

>>> harrinda at mctc.mnscu.edu 01/04/01 06:33PM >>>
Todd,

I am now testing  the Migration wizard for a GW move to NW51.

Couple of questions:

1) If this fails, can we simply put the old server back in the tree? Is it ever really removed from NDS?

2) How did you handle the SYS:SYSTEM directory for the GW modules?  My understanding is you do NOT want to copy SYSTEM, as the new SYSTEM is NW51.

The documentation indicates that anything running in SYSTEM must be reinstalled.

I am hoping the GW NLMs, NCFs, and CFGs can simply be copied, or restored from tape.

If my poor memory serves me, last time I had a problem with an upgrade, I had to manually restore about 17 GW files to SYSTEM.

3) Any other pointers?

Thanks

Dana

>>> "Todd Rodgers" <trodgers at ducks.org> 11/06/00 07:46AM >>>
Take a look at the Upgrade Wizard on Novell's web site.  I have used it with 100% success 6 different times so far to upgrade hardware and migrate from 4.11 to 5.1 at the same time.

trodgers at ducks.org
Ducks Unlimited, Inc.

>>> harrinda at mctc.mnscu.edu 11/05/00 05:25PM >>>a
Hi,
I am asking for comments on the following project:

Upgrade the existing dedictated GW 5.5.2 NW 4.11 SP5b server to NW51SP1 and ALSO to NEW server hardware.

This can be done in phases. This is my normal approach to reduce the amount of variables required for troubleshooting.

My current thinking is:

1) Do an in place upgrade of the OS, and make sure it works over a period of one week or so.  This has worked without problems for all my other NW4.11 to NW51 OS upgrades.

2) Once all is working, use the standard NWCONFIG hardware replacement upgrade procedures to install the NEW server hardware.

3) For any problems on steps 1 and 2, rely on tested backups for restoration.

Please note, I have not used any of the over the wire, or wizards in the past, but maybe I should look at this?

Thanks for any advice provided from experience, or theoretical as well.

Dana