[ngw] GW, SMP & NW5.1

Jim Lombardo jlombard at acp.org
Fri Jan 5 13:11:59 UTC 2001

I run several 5.0 and 5.1 servers with SMP and GroupWise 526/554. Make sure
you load your agents in protected memory. That way if the PO faults, it
doesn't bring down the server. You can even have the address space restart
it's self in the event of a fault. BTW, GW 5.x does use the second CPU,
maybe not as well as it should, but it helps.

Jim Lombardo
Network Administrator
American Center for Physics
301.209.3252
jlombard at acp.org

>>> "Dennis Large" <dennis.large at louisville.edu> 1/5/2001 7:49:11 AM >>>
It's my understanding that, though MUCH improved, there are still no
significant benefits with SMP until NW6. AFAIK it's at least stable now, but
possibly not worth the effort, in terms of performance at least. I guess you
would at least get failover protection of sorts. All our GW boxen are single
CPU at the moment and NW5.0, so take my words with a big grain of salt.

>>> Shawn.Lindow at snow.edu 01/04/01 06:50PM >>>
I am running NW4.11, GW5.5.1 without SMP.
I want to upgrade to NW5.1.

I will have NW5.1, GW5.5.1 (soon to go to EP), and SMP will be enabled.

Has anyone found that to be stable or unstable?

Specifically, will GW crash with SMP if you are running on NW5.1?

( GW would certainly crash with SMP running on NW4.11. )

Thanks for your help.

Shawn Lindow
Dir. Network / Communication Svcs.
Snow College