[ngw] delay with attachment (size)

Aaron Brender aaron at academy.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 18 00:58:06 UTC 2001

Well... I am glad you don't have the problem anymore :) ...  I am 5.5.4 so I guess I will look at reapplying the SP or something.  I tried looking for TIDs myself but no luck.  But thanks for giving me a clue.

Aaron

>>> Ted.Christopher at tlc.state.tx.us 01/17/01 05:08PM >>>
I tried to find a TID on it, but couldn't find one.

I'm reaching into the dim past here, but it was something like GW caches the attachment locally when it's an SMTP message.  We're on 5.5.4.1 here, and it's no longer an issue. I seem to recall Novell fixed it with some SP. Sorry, I wish I could be more specific.

It's bizarre how they handle SMTP messages. For instance, a user's SMTP message can be stored in any message database in the post office rather than the user's assigned message database. I found that out when we had an out of control vacation rule recently.  All the message databases increased in size, not just the user's.  I don't understand why SMTP messages are treated differently, but there it is.

>>> aaron at academy.tamu.edu 1/17/2001 4:51:52 PM >>>
I just tested this again to make sure... anything sent internal.. no problem... just items that have been *touched* by the GWIA.

Aaron

>>> aaron at academy.tamu.edu 01/17/01 04:47PM >>>
The ones that I definately noticed are SMTP messages... clue me in.

Aaron

>>> Ted.Christopher at tlc.state.tx.us 01/17/01 04:44PM >>>
I think I recall this issue has something to do with the GWIA. Are these SMTP messages?

>>> aaron at academy.tamu.edu 1/17/2001 4:39:37 PM >>>
Some of my users are becoming noticeably annoyed at this.  Especially all teh users that were forced to stop using Exchange and start using GW.  I would think that if it takes this long to open the message, the attachment should at least be cached or something for immediate access, but it just aint the case.  Maybe I should open and incident or something.  I have 4 POs across 4 servers all with the same problem.

Aaron

>>> GJOHNSON at vh.cc.va.us 01/17/01 03:46PM >>>
I've had the same problem since GW 5.5.1.  Try doing this over a dial up connection and just watch those modem lights.
Looks like it sends the attachments when the note is opened and again when the attachment is opened or saved.

>>> aaron at academy.tamu.edu 01/17/01 04:32PM >>>
Can anyone tell me the "technical" reason why if I receive a message that has a couple of jpg or gif attachments (something relatively small).. when I click on the message, it opens right up immediately.  Now lets say that someone sends me a 5MB attachment...  When I open to read the message, it takes up to 40 seconds at times.  Mind you I am not opening the attachment, just a message with an attachment.  I thought that when you opened a message, using the 32bit client (W2K GW 5.5.4 server/client over IP) that the message should open right up and the icon for the attachment is just a reference to the actual file.  Now I understand if I choose to save the attachment somewhere, or open it from its current location that it might take awhile pending on the size... but why does it take so long just to open the message to read the text?  If this is normal behavior... how can I speed it up?  The server is a dual 800 with 512MB RAM SCSI RAID5 with cheetah drives on a CAT5 10MB link.  My workstation is an 800 256MB W2K machine on a 10MB connection.  I don't have a "direct" connection (same leg) to the server, but all my other network services are quite speedy.

Aaron