[ngw] delay with attachment (size) (solved)

Ted Christopher Ted.Christopher at tlc.state.tx.us
Thu Jan 18 17:25:27 UTC 2001

What's the date on your 5.5.4 client?  We're using 5.5.4.1 dated 8/18/2000. Not getting reports of this.

>>> aaron at academy.tamu.edu 1/18/2001 11:20:31 AM >>>
Problem solved... sort of... It is definately the client.  The 5.5.3a client works without a problem... it is just the 5.5.4 client that I have.  I am not sure what is causing it to be a problem though.

Aaron

------------------------
Actually.. I believe I have discovered the source of the problem.  It is the client I am using.  For troubleshooting purposes, I have installed 2 brand new machines with identical configurations (hardware and software and OS).  On one client I install my *patched* 5.2.4 client.  On another workstation, I install the older 5.5.1c client.  The 5.2.4 client opens GWIA/SMTP mail with attachments very slowly.  With the 5.5.1c client... it opens immediately.  Apparently there is something wrong with my 5.2.4 client which I have on about 100 of my machines... *yuck*.  I think I saw that Novell posted the 5.5.3a client so I will download that next to see if it works.

Aaron

>>> Freeman.Richard at NMNH.SI.EDU 01/18/01 07:09AM >>>
What is your setup?

I believe the problem is the SPEED of you PO server, how busy the box is and how much cache it has and its connection to your users as well if you are using direct connections instead of IP.  Lets say you are using TCPIP for coonections

Unless you "force" all the data down to the users PC - You are getting all your data from the PO server.  If you are running 10 MB and you are doing this across more then 2 segments and you have a PO with 300 users and the PO is the only thing running on the server and say with 256 MB of RAM - yes I would expect it to be slow on the transfer of the whole message and attachment to your users PC.

The slowness is your bottleneck point - first it would be the 10 MB link. What else is running on this 10 MB link other than users - Web services - file and print  - others?   Next checking the server - GW 5 does not take advantage of the second processor in Netware still pushing things through 0.  What is the cache on this server?  Othe then the POA are there other processes running on the server?  What is your PO size - do you have a large amount of stored files?  What is your retention policy for mail - days - months - years?

I run a single POA on a single server, GW 5.5.4.1 (EP)  with 512 MB (plan to take it to a 1 GB for cache improvement) on 100 MB directly to the switch (users are usally on three segments per PO) with 300 users with 120 day retention weekly data grooming and removal with an average size of the Post Office between 9.5 to 10 GB.

We work pretty well with this.

Richard A. Freeman - ADP Program, NMNH, SI
Freeman.Richard at NMNH.SI.EDU
phone 202-357-1955  fax 202-357-4115
INTRANET Site http://ADP.SI.EDU

>>> aaron at academy.tamu.edu 01/17/2001 5:39:37 PM >>>
Some of my users are becoming noticeably annoyed at this.  Especially all teh users that were forced to stop using Exchange and start using GW.  I would think that if it takes this long to open the message, the attachment should at least be cached or something for immediate access, but it just aint the case.  Maybe I should open and incident or something.  I have 4 POs across 4 servers all with the same problem.

Aaron

>>> GJOHNSON at vh.cc.va.us 01/17/01 03:46PM >>>
I've had the same problem since GW 5.5.1.  Try doing this over a dial up connection and just watch those modem lights.
Looks like it sends the attachments when the note is opened and again when the attachment is opened or saved.

>>> aaron at academy.tamu.edu 01/17/01 04:32PM >>>
Can anyone tell me the "technical" reason why if I receive a message that has a couple of jpg or gif attachments (something relatively small).. when I click on the message, it opens right up immediately.  Now lets say that someone sends me a 5MB attachment...  When I open to read the message, it takes up to 40 seconds at times.  Mind you I am not opening the attachment, just a message with an attachment.  I thought that when you opened a message, using the 32bit client (W2K GW 5.5.4 server/client over IP) that the message should open right up and the icon for the attachment is just a reference to the actual file.  Now I understand if I choose to save the attachment somewhere, or open it from its current location that it might take awhile pending on the size... but why does it take so long just to open the message to read the text?  If this is normal behavior... how can I speed it up?  The server is a dual 800 with 512MB RAM SCSI RAID5 with cheetah drives on a CAT5 10MB link.  My workstation is an 800 256MB W2K machine on a 10MB connection.  I don't have a "direct" connection (same leg) to the server, but all my other network services are quite speedy.

Aaron