[ngw] GW 5.5 Enhancement Pack

Richard Freeman Freeman.Richard at NMNH.SI.EDU
Wed Jan 24 19:49:57 UTC 2001

Let me share some Novell tips.

There are some CFG commands that can be added that FORCE IP and Port connections:

; Novell recommended commands for POA/MTA listen connections
;/MTPINIP-XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
;/MTPINPORT-7230

This is manualling added to the POA CFG at the end and seems to work pretty well.

There is a know problem with the TCP/IP stack in NW 4.11 upto and including patch SP8a that can cause IP connection lost.  Going up to the latest agents has help take care of that and the connections through IP in NW 5.1 appear to be near flawless.

Richard A. Freeman - ADP Program, NMNH, SI
Freeman.Richard at NMNH.SI.EDU
phone 202-357-1955  fax 202-357-4115
INTRANET Site HTTP://ADP.SI.EDU

>>> trodgers at ducks.org 01/24/2001 2:40:19 PM >>>
That explains why my POA is loosing connection (via TCP/IP link port 7101) to my MTA!
Thanks for the update!

Thanks,
Todd Rodgers
CCNA, MCSE, CNA-4, Groupwise CNA-5
Manager of Network Operations
trodgers at ducks.org
Ducks Unlimited, Inc.

>>> Mherzli at nabi.com 01/24/01 01:36PM >>>
One exception, if using the EP and I quote:

>From GroupWise Cool Solutions article "The Ultimate GroupWise PO Configuration Guide and Health Check" by Tay Kratzer

"14. Don't use the GroupWise 5.5 EP snapins or 5.5 EP SP1 snapins.  Only use these for making modifications to the GroupWise Webaccess agent.  The GroupWise 5.5 EP snapins drop the MTP port on the POA.  Development probably won't address this till the 5.5 EP SP3.  Make sure the customer is using GroupWise 5.5 SP2 or better snapins."

PS - Of course I'm using the EP snapins and admin changes to the agents can cause the POA to lose it's connection information to the MTA.  One of these days I'll get some time to open a ticket and get the 5.5.x snapins.

Mike

>>> Freeman.Richard at NMNH.SI.EDU 01/24/01 01:43PM >>>
What it says is TRUE - don't try to Admin GW 5.5.4.1 with the sanpins from GW 5.5.2 - you are asking for corruption.

We've experienced this problem - basically killing our Distribution Lists system wide.  We are in a mix 4.11 and 5.1 enviroment - big LAN/WAN system - but to Admin NDS properly you need to be using the WIN32 directory with all the NW 5.1 parts AS WELL as all the snapins for the latest and greatest version of Groupwise.

One of the things that I have as a MUST do after any Novell/Netware and Groupwise upgrade/update ( I have 15 servers in my context alone) is to make sure that the WIN32 directory is STANDARDIZED across ALL my servers.

Richard A. Freeman - ADP Program, NMNH, SI
Freeman.Richard at NMNH.SI.EDU
phone 202-357-1955  fax 202-357-4115
INTRANET Site http://ADP.SI.EDU

>>> rlevasseur at nationallife.com 01/24/2001 10:58:32 AM >>>
Another question: In the GW 5.5 Readme, there is a note (paragraph 4.2) about administering users with the newer 5.5 NWADMIN. The note says that if you want to add post offices, users, or other GW objects to the domain, you need to use the version of NWADMIN that corresponds to the domain's version. Does anyone have any experience with this? In particular, we plan on upgrading our primary and the secondary domains that are in house but we have a remote domain that will be upgraded at a later date. Will we have any problems administering that remote secondary? This is for ALL administration tasks. Additionally, the remote domain has a network person to administer it (but we can do things here too).

Rob Levasseur
Sr. Systems Analyst, CNE, MCP
National Life of Vermont
Montpelier, VT  05604