[ngw] SMTP Incoming >Prevent Messages

Weldon Hoppe Wjh at kirkham.com
Tue Jan 30 16:46:21 UTC 2001

An alternative to 3rd party programs is the following no cost solution. Although it doesn't prevent them from getting through the GWIA, it does capture them and delete them.

We set up a mailbox account called MAILMAN, for each previous user that we want to process we add a NICKNAME to the MAILMAN account. We have a RULE in the MAILMAN account that sends a REPLY to the sender notifying them that the user no longer works here and requesting that the address be removed. Then the message is DELETED.

>>> BSinclair at rmin.riss.net 01/29/01 02:42PM >>>
Hello:
I have some employees that are no longer working here. I still receive from the Internet mail for them, how can I prevent those email messages from going into my GWIA?

Thank you, all..

>>> kchapman at independenthealth.com 01/29/01 05:56AM >>>
I have this working (preventing messages from particular domains) for 5.5 EP SP1.

"Allow incoming messages" is checked., and in the "Prevent messages from" I have *@*.mypoints.com listed.  I haven't tried it for a single user address though.  I've also successfully configured GWIA to not allow one particular internal user to send or receive ANY Internet email, and there's another user who can't send or receive anything except mail from one particular vendor domain.

>>> CPR at starneslaw.com 01/26/01 01:54PM >>>
GW 5.5.3

GWIA > Access Control > Class of Service > Edit > SMTP Incoming > Prevent Messages From:

   I've entered a number of entries in the "Prevent Messages From: " area.  We continue to get messages delivered from those listed unwanted addresses.  However, on that same configuration page the inbound & outbound size restrictions work fine.  Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.