[ngw] GWIA 420 TCP error

Steen Rahbek SR at dfm.dtu.dk
Tue Jul 10 12:52:50 UTC 2001

> We started getting these errors last Monday.  Some email to certain
> domains cannot be  sent even though the address is correct and message
> is formatted properly.  The strange thing is it happens only to
> certain
> domains, and not all messages to those domains are affected.  Message
> sizes range in size from 4K to 5 or 6 MB.  Per Novell TIDs, this is
> not
> a GWIA problem.  They suggest using route.cfg to hard code the mail
> exchangers for those trouble domains.  However, I see this solution
> can
> become very cumbersome over time.
>
> Has anyone else experienced 420 TCP Write (or Reda) errors?  Any fix?
>
> My system (and GWIA) is GroupWise 5.5 SP4 running on NW 5.1 SP2A

We also had these TCP read/write errors some time ago (often with attachments >6-8 MB), the only fix which solved the problem, was using this on the server with SMTP/GWIA and at the Firewall:

SET USE SPECIFIED MTU = ON
SET MAXIMUM INTERFACE MTU = 1500

Take a look at TID 10008678, 2950043, ....................

Steen Rahbek, DFM