[ngw] Elink and read messages

Danita Zanre danita at caledonia.net
Wed Nov 7 04:02:23 UTC 2001

Yes, and there are a number of options that Motient can set for you -
you can have them set whether you want the elink service to download
only "unread" mail, or if you want it to download everything new
regardless of read status, and as Tony indicates, you can have them set
whether or not you want the device to mark the items as read once it
downloads them.  After a lot of playing around with it, I chose to have
only unread messages pulled via IMAP, and I also chose to leave the
messages as unread in my mailbox, as I really want the GW mailbox to be
my master, and there are times I don't have the time to read them all on
the RIM.  My only big gripe is that there is no "time of day" setting
you can make for the RIM.  For example, for me it would make more sense
to have it only poll from 9-4 let's say.  I get up in the morning, read
all of my mail in GW, and then on my way to driving my kids to school I
get 50 messages sent to the RIM that were downloaded overnight while I
was asleep (my house isn't in a service area, so they don't appear there
while I'm home <g>).  I guess I could just turn off the "poll" and do
the polling all manually, but it is nice during the day when I'm out not
to have to remember to poll, and to get the mail pushed to me as it
arrives.

My 2 cents <g>.

Danita