[ngw] GW6 cache question

Garrick Wales Garrick at handmade.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 20:59:38 UTC 2001

Dear Morris,

It does clear up a few issues.  We will implement cache mode for the 'statis user' machines and stick to 'live mode for the open office boxes.

Thanks for the guidance.

Garrick Wales
Technical Director
Handmade.co.uk Limited

Tel:  +44 (0) 1355 223366 (Office)
Tel:  +44 (0) 7860 222522 (Mobile)
Fax: +44 (0) 1355 222309 (Office)
Fax: +44 (0) 870 131 9952 (Mobile)

This message was sent using GroupWise 6, Superior, Collaborative, Messaging from Novell - The e-Directory people.

Of the cuff:
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better, idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the Universe is winning.

>>> mblackham at gw.novell.com 28/11/2001 20:48:35 >>>
Here's some things I like about it.

1.  If POA goes down (not that it would ever happen <gr>) you still
have access to your stuff and can continue with reading, sending, etc.

2.  Like I said before, reading msg's with large attachments is
quicker, the POA doens't have to spoon feed it to you.

3.  If you are in the "have laptop, will travel" mode, you don't have
do a Hit the Road, when you leave the office, your stuff is already on
the local drive.  Cache and Remote modes use the same local data store.

4.  If you have other accounts set up, POP/IMAP/NNTP, you don't have to
upload them to the PO store and have all your newsgroup msgs in the Post
Office.

5.  You can access your archive using caching mode, same as online.

Cons.

1. Like Danita said, Doc Man is a liitle painful when using caching
mode.

2.  Limits you a little to what machine you run from.  Especially if
the admin person deletes your PO mailbox items that you've downloaded to
your cache, they are not then available in online mode or Webaccess.

3.  Changes to system address book are not immediately seen.  GW 6
without SP1, you had to manually request new address book.  SP1 defaults
to getting it every 7 days but is configurable to 1 to x days.

anyone else???

Morris

>>> Holly.Newman at KJMAIL.COM 11/28/01 01:10PM >>>
I just installed the GW6SP1 client last night, and I have a question
about the caching.  I tried it, and once it built, it seemed fine.  I
didn't have any problems using the client to access other, non-cached
accounts using /@u-?.  But I'm wondering if there is any advantage to
using it on a system that isn't over taxed on the server side.  Can
somebody summarize the pros and cons of using caching?  And
specifically
how does it relate to remote and archives?

Thanks,

Holly Newman
Network Services Manager
Kendall-Jackson Wine Estates

Visit http://www.concentrico.net for GroupWise, NDS, or DirXML
development needs and product information.