[ngw] Which Blacklists to use?

Rick Zeman RZeman at melwood.org
Thu Dec 8 14:59:09 UTC 2005

I use sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.  Spamcop is too aggressive for my tastes.
I'd rather have spam slip through than block legitimate mail.  They
block a bit.  For the last 6 hours:

rzeman at mailhub:~> countmail
Inbound internet email statistics @ Thu Dec  8 09:57:27 EST 2005
      Bounced [550]:  673
     Rejected [554]:  1178
Blocked attachments:  29
    Relayed to GWIA:  1216
     Relay attempts:  3

The 554s are the spamhaus blocks.   I used to spot-check their database
refs to see if they were legitimate blocks and I never ran into a
false-positive so I don't even bother any more.

Rick Zeman
Information Technology Department
Melwood Horticultural Training Center, Inc.
301.599.4560
<http://www.melwood.org>

>>> tbowman at umphysicians.umn.edu 12/8/2005 9:48 AM >>>
We're ready to start using the blacklist feature of the GWIA (6.54).  I
want to be a little conservative at first, what free lists do people
recommend?  SpamCop?  ORDB?  IS one enough or should I add both?  Or
others?

Todd Bowman
Senior IS Professional
University of Minnesota Physicians
612-884-0744

tbowman at umphysicians.umn.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

DO NOT READ THIS EMAIL IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT. The
information in this email may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. If you are not the intended recipient, your review,
forwarding,
copying, distribution, or any other use or disclosure of any
information
in this email is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please
destroy and delete this message from any computer and contact us
immediately by return e-mail.