[ngw] Delivery Into MSN and Hotmail Now Requires Sender ID

Tim Malloy tmalloy at cscc.edu
Wed Jul 6 18:27:12 UTC 2005

That's the difference between SPF and rDNS.  rDNS rejects unless sender is verified so if DNS server is busy or DNS record is not published, mail is rejected.  SPF will accept if sender does not publish a record or server is busy.  All it does is allow me as an admin to limit what IP's can send using my domain in the sender address.  It just helps stop spoofing.

Tim

>>> RZeman at melwood.com 7/6/2005 8:31 AM >>>

They ARE two independent functions.  But, and correct me if I'm wrong, won't mail get rejected if there isn't an SPF record with the MX record AND there's no reverse dns from the sending site?

>>> tmalloy at cscc.edu 7/5/2005 10:24 PM >>>
There's a big difference between SPF and reverse DNS that if a server is busy and there is no response before timeout, the receiving server accepts the message rather than rejecting it.  Check out this link for more info

http://infocenter.guardiandigital.com/documentation/spf.html

Microsoft just added their ideas for their "Caller ID" add on to SPF.

Tim