[ngw] Just Wondering ...

Lilith Calbridge lilith at dcccd.edu
Fri Jul 8 17:59:23 UTC 2005

Guess this is a slow Friday for everyone else too. Eh?

Lil

>>> dennis.large at louisville.edu 7/8/2005 12:54:35 PM >>>
I think you'll have to agree, dumber things have happened.

>>> jbernier at risd.edu 7/8/2005 1:12 PM >>>
Perfect! Wasted money thrown at the wasting of the English language.

>>> dennis.large at louisville.edu 7/8/2005 1:01:14 PM >>>
Hmm, interesting. I'd chalk it up to English linguistic weirdness. It's basically a plurality issue. Deer as an example is both singular and plural. For whatever reason, the treatment of 'mail' didn't carry over to 'e-mail'. Perhaps some sociologist can get a govt grant to study the issue.

>>> jbernier at risd.edu 7/8/2005 11:35 AM >>>
Why is it that people correctly refer to traditional letters sent via the "good-ol-boys" (and girls) of the USPS (gotta' be PC here), as MAIL...

... yet throw proper grammar out the window when referring to it's electronic counterpart, e-mail?

When you stroll down to your mailbox at home, do you say, "Honey, I'm gonna' go check an' see if we got any mails today?

Sounds funny huh?

Just wondering out loud.

JB