[ngw] GW651 RAID 5 or RAID 10 perfomance on SAN

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 13:20:41 UTC 2005

Interesting - I've found no vendor making this claim and the general
literature says otherwise; in fact if you set up software spanning or
mirroring under netware it will perform reads in parallel - as far
back as Netware 2.15. Are you saying you've found a hardware RAID
vendor that can't get it right?

I recently tested RAID 5 against RAID 1,0, and while I had limited
time and tools the 1,0 configuration was as fast in reads, and much
faster on write operations.
Randy Grein, Master CNE, CCNA