[ngw] Govt to Exchange WAS Abend on GW PO server

Gregg A. Hinchman Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com
Wed Oct 17 14:46:44 UTC 2007


Actually the GW Dev team has recorded more API's in the past few years -which was  big 'as we go' project for them.

As for integration -SOAP- is a point into GW and seems to be gaining ground in the arena of Dev.  I know I3 -Interactive Intelligence, Inc.  -long time MS partner for Unified Messaging is writing their products to GW SOAP.

And if you dig a bit deeper, many of the 'so called' Exch. Integrated apps -need just Outlook. 

Then there is DMS.  Native in GW -but if you do not like it and want to expand it -there is CompuThink that does a wonderful job for DMS and Imaging and integration with GW.  

I find migrations are motivated by integration points but also by emotions -and not common sense or logic.  If you consider this point -many organizations decide they 'must have' an application -and that application links only to Exch.  But really -what is the business cost/reason for the application?  Does the cost of purchasing the app and training users have a true ROI?  Likely not.  Example: Do we need a car that can 'park itself' as Lexus now offers?  Does the cost of that feature justify itself?  

Ok -your point -taken -hope you see mine.  
-- 

Take Care.
 
Gregg A. Hinchman 
Consultant
Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com ( mailto:Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com )
 
A Novell Consulting Partner
317.329.0288 Office
413.254.2819 eFax
 
"Courage is doing what is right." 

"Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist ones. All systems of thought are guiding means, not absolute truth."  Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese monk.



>>> On 10/17/2007 at 10:22 AM, in message UID22810-1162625558, Tim
Wohlford<tim at wohlford.net> wrote:

> Gregg —
>  
> I had this discussion w/ a key tech from a huge Novell partner last
> night.  The reason why they're doing lots of GW to Exchange conversions
> for customers is that apps are written to integrate w/ Exchange, but not
> GW7.  The problem seems to be that the GW7 team never got around to
> publishing most of their APIs, and third-party companies are going nuts
> trying to guess what Novell did in GW7.  
>  
> This confirms what a tech from a local law firm (100 users) told me —
> that her doc management choices that integrate w/ GW were narrow enough,
> and even those don't work well with GW7.
>  
> Hopefully, GW8 will have tons of help for would-be third-party dev
> companies.
>  
> Tim Wohlford, CNE
>  
>  
> 
> 
>>>> "Gregg A. Hinchman" <Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com> 10/17/2007 9:13
> AM >>>
> As for MS -well go take a look at my article and pass it onto the
> 'powers that be' and ask them where the $$$ will come from to do a full
> migration.  Then let it leak to your populace -who would have to pay the
> tax $$ to support the cost of the migration ..I am sure that will slow
> things down and give you some breathing room.  Heres the article:
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/19593.html .


More information about the ngw mailing list