[ngw] GroupWise migration

Tim Heywood tim at nds8.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 21:23:21 UTC 2009

0 is the default - so what do you want to do?  You and I know that MTP
is the right way to go, so what should be do for MTP on a GWIA ???   The
MTA uses 7100.  The POA uses 7101   So I use 7102 for the GWIA.

Works very nicely as a standard ;-)

Tim Heywood
NDS8
Novell Platinum Solution Provider

Office:  +44 (0) 131 538 8202
Mobile:  +44 (0) 7974 134264

>>> On 19 January, 2009 at 04:17, "Scott Kunau" <skunau at igtg.net>
wrote:
> 0 is correct.  I had a couple of instances of the GWIA object not
being
> created on OESv1 clustered Linux using GW7.x but haven't seen the
issue rear
> its head on OESv2 or GW8 yet.  Are you having any LDAP issues?

> i have been struggling getting gwia to install properly on linux at
another
> client also.  is there some trick?  i get the feeling that it is
related to
> the MTP port that it prompts for.  the default is 0, is that right?

> only about 10 users....
>
> i did the whole migration in my lab and it went perfectly.  i did a
gw8 on
> nw to gw8 on linux both in different trees.
> mta is fine
> poa is fine
> webacc is fine
> gwia will not install correctly.  it keeps creating the edirectory
object,
> but won't create the object in the groupwise system.  what am i
missing?

> Keith Larson
> Franklin Computer Services - K12 Group
> (614) 561-4887
> klarson at k12group.net

PM >>>
> Yeah and even then....
>
> Not sure how many users you are dealing with -but if you really want
to be
> 'fresh' you might consider even a new post office and move users.
You just
> have to 'span' your GW system across two trees but creating a new
domain in
> the new tree -then create a new po, domains, gateways in the new tree
-move
> users, delete old -after updating new domain to primary.  lots of
fun.  :)

> Take Care.
>
> Gregg A. Hinchman
> Consultant
> Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com ( mailto:Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com )
> www.HinchmanConsulting.com ( http://www.hinchmanconsulting.com/ )
> A Novell Consulting Partner
> 317.329.0288 Office
> 413.254.2819 eFax
>
> "Courage is doing what is right."
>
> "Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist
ones.
> All systems of thought are guiding means, not absolute truth."  Thich
Nhat
> Hanh, Vietnamese monk.
>
> Book Travel @: www.booknewtravelnow.com
>

> From: Keith Larson<klarson at K12GROUP.NET>
> To:ngw at ngwlist.com
> Date: 1/15/2009 3:19 PM
> Subject: Re: [ngw] GroupWise migration
> found it.  it doesn't appear unless you have the tree selected in
> ConsoleOne.... tricky.

> The catch is that they are each servers in their own tree.  I want to
start
> fresh with OES2SP1 and not bring all the junk.
> It seemed to go fine.  I can connect to the new groupwise system, but
when I
> try to graft the groupwise objects into the new tree it reports that

> eDirectory doesn't have the GroupWise schema.  I can't seem to find
where to
> install the GW8 schema.
>

> Keith Larson
> Franklin Computer Services - K12 Group
> (614) 561-4887
> klarson at k12group.net

PM >>>
> I got an article on it --except I call it 'moving' not migrating.
And I often

http://www.ngwlist.com

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Keith Larson <klarson at k12group.net>
wrote:

> I have read a number of TID on the topic and it is generally
> straightforward.  I'm testing the process in my lab and it seems ok,
but I'm
> combining several changes into one and the TID talk about the
separately.
> I'm wondering if anyone has done all of them together.
>
> I have a GroupWise 6 system on a NetWare 6.5 SP7 server that needs to
 be
> migrated to new hardware that is already setup in a new tree running

> OES2SP1/SLES10SP2.
>
> Migrating GroupWise from NetWare to OES seems ok.
> Even migrating from one tree to another seems ok.
>
> What about upgrading from 6 to 8 in the process?  Should I upgrade
the GW6
> to GW8 first and then migrate?
>
> Did I mention that they don't have any backups, so my greatest desire
is the
> leave the original system completely untouched if at all possible.  I
know
> that I have to reconfigure the agents with the new servers ip before
the
> final copy, so I can't stick to that 100%.
>

> Keith Larson
> Franklin Computer Services - K12 Group
> (614) 561-4887
> klarson at k12group.net

The information contained in this email is intended for the person to
whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. You should not copy, retain, forward or disclose its
contents to anyone else, or take any action based upon it, if it is
not addressed to you personally. If the message is received by anyone
other
than the addressee, please notify the sender and delete the message.

NDS8 does not accept responsibility for changes made to this
message after it was sent. Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to
avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of
this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems
or data.