[ngw] GroupWise on NetWare under VMWare, anyone done this?

Michael Glenn MGlenn at cco.state.oh.us
Mon Jan 26 20:24:23 UTC 2009

We do that. Other than a few initial timesync problems during the NOS install, it's pretty much fire-and-forget. Only one CPU permitted per Netware VM atm, but OES-Linux has SMP support in the current ESX release.

Re move to Exchange: Might want to present a full cost and ROI analysis on that one. . . .
];)

>>> "Darryl Izor" <dizor at langrock.com> 01/23/2009 11:38 >>>
Help,

I am looking for feedback from anyone about running GroupWise on NetWare under VMWare, has anyone done this, pros cons, any advice on converting to, any general thoughts, any help would be greatly appreciated!

We are a Law Firm in VT with plans probably in 2010 or 2011 to migrate to a Windows and an Exchange environment (much to my dismay), I was able to fight it off again for this year's budget but not for much longer.

Because I have NetWare hardware that needs to be replaced this year I am thinking of migrating to VMWare which will better position us for the Microsoft transition or anything else we want to do in the future for OS's. I have been using VMWare now for 6 months as a test environment and really like it and see Virtualization as the way of the future. I have no experience with Xen and VMWare is so mature I think that is the route I should go.

Vitals
- NetWare 6.5 SP7.
- GW 7.0.3.
- Two Offices, two servers, two post-offices.
- 30 users in each office.
- Each Post office is 25 - 30 GB currently.

How well do we think this will run under VMWare with the right hardware?

Thanks
Darryl

Darryl C. Izor
Systems Administrator
Langrock Sperry & Wool, LLP
http://www.langrock.com ( http://www.langrock.com/ )
802-388-6356 x225
dizor at langrock.com

IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT:   This information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the use of those to whom it is addressed. This communication may contain material protected by the attorney-client privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, or someone responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any disclosure, forwarding, copying, printing, or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by calling 1-800-639-6356.

IF YOU ARE THE INTENDED RECIPIENT:   Please note that:  e-mail is not a secure method of communication; any e-mail that is sent to you or by you may be copied and held by various computers as it is transmitted; and, persons not participating in our communication may intercept our e-mail communications.  If you do not wish to receive communications from us by e-mail, please notify us immediately by calling 1-800-639-6356.