[ngw] GWIA Stops logging problem

Daniel Hunt DCHUNT at dncinc.com
Wed Jan 28 16:08:52 UTC 2009

Troy, I should have checked first.  We already have that in the Route.cfg.  It doesn't help.

Dan

>>> "Troy Worthington" <TWORTHINGTON at novell.com> 1/27/2009 11:18 AM >>>
Dan,

Create an entry for each of your internet domain names in your route.cfg that point to your gwia servers internal ip address.  This tid explains the process http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=10010997&sliceId=&docTypeID=DT_TID_1_1&dialogID=20324302&stateId=0%200%2020322374

Troy

>>> "Daniel Hunt" <DCHUNT at dncinc.com> 1/26/2009 5:36 PM >>>
I opened an incident with Novell and got the latest GWIA from the HP2 build.  It is working in protected mode and so far - so good.  However, I still see this sequence in the log files over and over (IP addresses have been munged to protect the guilty):

19:18:31 0B5 DMN: MSG 233049 Sending file: GWGATE/VOL1:\ABCGATE\WPGATE\GWIA\send\p97e0c86.676
19:18:31 0B5 DMN: MSG 233049 Attempting to connect to 192.10.110.5
19:18:31 09D DMN: MSG 233050 Accepted connection: [192.10.110.5] ()
19:18:31 093 DMN: MSG 233041 Connected to 192.10.110.5
19:18:31 09D DMN: MSG 233050 Receiving file: GWGATE/VOL1:\ABCGATE\WPGATE\GWIA\receive\78c0e794.700
19:18:31 09D DMN: MSG 233050 Recipient unknown: Mailer-Daemon at mail.dncinc.com
19:18:31 079 DMN: MSG 233051 Sending file: GWGATE/VOL1:\ABCGATE\WPGATE\GWIA\send\p97e0c86.677
19:18:31 093 DMN: MSG 233041 Send Failure: 550 No such recipient
19:18:31 093 DMN: MSG 233041 SMTP session ended: [192.10.110.5] (192.10.110.5)
19:18:31 079 DMN: MSG 233051 Attempting to connect to 192.10.110.5
19:18:31 09D DMN: MSG 233050 SMTP session ended: [192.10.110.5] ()
This is even with the latest GWIA.  I don't understand why the GWIA continues to try to send messages to itself.  This GWIA is in a secondary domain, if that makes a difference.  There is already a mailer-daemon user in another PO on the system which was a suggestion Novell had.  Any idea why the GWIA keeps doing this?

Thanks,
Dan

>>> "Daniel Hunt" <DCHUNT at dncinc.com> 1/26/2009 8:17 AM >>>
The server Abended this morning on GWIMAP-Handler_8 Process.  Again, I had to cold boot the server.  I could not down it gracefully.  We have a number of iMAP accounts that the GWIA services as well as SMTP.  In addition on this server we have a WebAccess gateway.  The server has 4 GB of RAM and utilization looks normal.  It will spike to 60% or 70% but then come back down to 7%.  The other thing I see are a lot of TCP/IP Read errors.

I just did a 128 MB packet capture using Pktscan and within the time of that capture I had about 3000 errors.  The GWIA acts as a Relay host going to a separate box for spam filtering and anti-virus checking before SMTP mail is sent to the Internet.  Mail coming in goes first to the separate box then to the GWIA.  I have NO TCP/IP Write Errs.  Large numbers of TCP/IP read errors have been occurring for some time and when I last tried to narrow it down I could not find any specific cause for it.  The NIC is the Embedded NIC in a Proliant DL360 G3 and both it and the Cisco switch are set to autodetect so they are operating at 1 GB.  Last time I looked there were no errors on the Cisco switch port.  The thing is this has been going on for months but it is just in the last week that there has been a significant problem with the GWIA where it will stop logging and then if left longer will stop processing mail - sometimes with an abend and sometimes not.  Can I assume that TCP/IP Read Errors always occur on messages coming into the GWIA or does it mean that the GWIA has a problem with basic TCP/IP communications reading from the host it is relaying to?

I have already renamed all the GWIA subdirs and restarted, including the dir where the log files are kept without help.  One thing that is also happening is that with Verbose logging, we are filling up the 1 MB logs in 2 to 3 minutes.  I need the verbose logging for looking up messages when a user claims they were not delivered or there is some other problem.  I would think if I could set the log size to 10 MB or 20 MB at least the GWIA would not have to close and create new log files so often.  Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,

Dan

>>> "Daniel Hunt" <DCHUNT at dncinc.com> 1/25/2009 9:58 PM >>>
I have a GW 7.0.3 HP1 GWIA running on a NW 6.5 SP7 server that has all of a sudden stopped logging.  I will check the server and the GWIA seems to be processing messages but if I look at the bottom part of the screen the log doesn't scroll.  If I check the log files I find that logging stopped at the same time as the last entry on the GWIA screen.  It is still processing email in and out of the system when this happens but if I let it go too long, then the GW conversion to SMTP part stops working.  The SMTP daemon part still works but not the conversion to or from a GroupWise message.  I have to shut down the server hard - do a cold boot because the GWIA will not unload in this condition.  It starts the unload process but then seems to just hang.

I have renamed all of the GWIA directories and restarted without any success.  It seems to be running 12 to 24 hours now before this starts happening.  The server utilization is not particularly high and there are no messages on the system console or the logger screen to indicate what is happening.  The strange thing is that nothing has changed on this GWIA in months.  This just started happening in the last week or so.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,
Dan

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply electronic mail and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system..