[ngw] (OT) GroupWise, VMWare ESXi, ZCM, etc...

Kevin Parris KPARRIS at ed.sc.gov
Fri Apr 16 20:21:22 UTC 2010

Hard drives can be moved, and if you have another box of similar type, just a few minutes with a screwdriver (or maybe you got the nice no-tools cases) .....  and of course, in any recovery situation, it depends on just exactly what component of which piece broke, whether you can get it running again or not.  Some think-time on anticipation of various failure scenarios and plans for how to recover from them, before you spec the hardware you're going to buy, would be useful.  Things like which RAID controller card will be in each box, how many drive slots will the boxes have, etc.......

>>> "Kenneth Etter" <kle at msktd.com> 04/16/10 3:42 PM >>>
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.  If the bare metal host breaks...and everything is on the server hard drives...how do I get things back in operation?  Or are you assuming that the VMs are not on the bare metal host?

Regards,
Ken

>>> "Kevin Parris" <KPARRIS at ed.sc.gov> 4/16/2010 3:34 PM >>>
There is at least one advantage to putting *everything* in a VM environment - mobility.  If you've got it hosted on a 1.0Ghz box and it can't keep up, you don't have to re-install or migrate or whatever, you just get a host ready on a 2Ghz box, copy the guest over, tweak host config and start it up.  whammo you've got new horsepower deployed.

I can't think of any downsides to virtualizing everything, these days.  Some will say they have to get every last ounce of performance from something, but I call those the rare exception cases.  Or maybe some specialty applications claim they are unsupported in VM environment, but that just means the developers haven't caught up to the modern world (or the app has some really exotic requirements).  With suitable equipment now, the VMware overhead isn't really very much to worry about.

And recovery, just thought of that - if you have a system running on bare metal, and that box breaks, getting that system back into operation without fixing that particular box can be tricky.  But if the bare metal host for your VM breaks, you may be able to get the guests back in operation on anything you have handy that can run a VM host environment.

No, I don't work for VMware or receive any consideration from them.  I just love the virtualization way of doing things.

>>> "Kenneth Etter" <kle at msktd.com> 04/16/10 3:11 PM >>>
We are a small business - 65 employees.  I currently have one NetWare 6.5 server running GW8(MTA, POA, and GWIA) and ZfD 7.  I'm getting ready to purchase some new server hardware.  My original thought was to get three new servers.  Move the GW8 stuff onto the first running SLES or OES.  Setup ZCM 10 on the second (I assume SLES).  And setup ESXi on a third to host some VMs so I could replace a few auxilliary PCs doing individual tasks in my server room.  Due to lack of hardware, I haven't had a chance to play with ESXi yet.  I'm also fairly new to Linux, although I do have GMS and Reload running on SLES.  Does this sound reasonable?  Or does anyone have a better suggestion?  Thanks!

Regards,
Ken Etter