[ngw] TOO many BlackBerry Reactivations

Lori Binner LBinner at JJKELLER.COM
Tue Mar 1 19:44:19 UTC 2011

Sorry, but want to clarify...once I go back to API, we most likely will no longer have Blackberrys losing their email syncing (is that what you've seen)?

thanks again,
Lori

>>> "Jim Gosney" <JGOSNEY at genesco.com> 3/1/2011 1:14 PM >>>
We were on 4.1.6MR5 in API mode.  We went to 4.1.7.  That broke API.  But SOAP was buggy in both 4.1.6.5 and 4.1.7 with the problem you're experincing.

If you are on 4.1.6.5, you will probably be ok going back to API.  We didn't have any problems with that scenaior.  But either going to SOAP or 4.1.7 seems to break things.

>>> "Lori Binner" <LBinner at JJKELLER.COM> 3/1/2011 1:00 PM >>>
Jim-
You say below you've found 802 w/BES4.1.6MR5 in API Mode to be stable...but, am I hearing you correctly, that you are still having BB users emails stop syncing at times? (I'm in SOAP, but if you're having the same issues with API, I'll probably stick with SOAP)
Please post back to the list after you upgrade your upgrade to to MR1.

We'll have to give your steps a try on the next device that stops syncing...thanks for the input.

Lori

>>> "Jim Gosney" <JGOSNEY at genesco.com> 3/1/2011 12:36 PM >>>
Lori,

We have been fighting Blackberry issues ever since we got our BES servers several years ago.  And we have lately been experiencing the same issues you have run into.  Here is what we have discovered so far.

First, note that the ONLY stable combination of GW/BES that we've come across so far is GW802 with BES4.1.6MR5 running in API mode.

We had tons of problems running SOAP mode in 4.1.6MR5 so we upgraded to 4.1.7 because it supposedly fixed the problem.  It didn't.  Instead, it just made more problems.  4.1.7 broke API communication.  So both SOAP and API were buggy.  Now RIM is telling us that 4.1.7MR1 has magically fixed all the problems in the world (I am highly skeptable) but we have to upgrade GW to 8.0.2HP2 first.  We did that part last week but of course that broke indexing on Windows POA's (if you've been following that thread...).  But we are working around that and plan to upgrade our BES to 4.1.7MR1 Thursday evening.  I fully expect it to break something else as RIM has given us absolutely no reason to trust them but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As far as "why" this particular problem occurs, the release notes in 4.1.7MR1 has this little tidbit listed:
"If the BlackBerry Enterprise Server used SOAP communication mode and the Novell Groupwise Post Office sent an invalid event, affected Blackberry device users stopped receiving email to their devices. (DT 637203)"

We currently have around a half-dozen users a week to stop communicating.  it's a pain to reactivate their accounts each time so I've actually discovered a workaround.

Go into the BES Manager and disable redirection for the user
Run a stand-alone GWCHECK and check for contents and fix problems.  This will delete all invalid events in the user's mailbox.
Wait for a full 30 minutes after disabling redirection before re-enabling it.

This causes mail to start flowing 90% of the time.  But only new mail flows.  Anything that was receive in the user's mailbox during the outage still won't be delivered.

Hope this helps.

>>> "Lori Binner" <LBinner at JJKELLER.COM> 3/1/2011 11:01 AM >>>
Hello-
Last Sept we upgraded from GW703/NetWare to GW802/Linux. We've been running version 4.1.6 MR5 BES (long before our upgrade thru present time). After the GW upgrade, we are experiencing random BlackBerry users telling us they are no longer receiving emails...they can send emails and all other functions work on their device.
The only way we can resolve after trying numerous things, is to reactivate their device. Out of 90 users, we've done quite a few reactivations (some only once, others more than once). Another issue since the GW upgrade - at times devices don't receive their new emails until about 15 min later.
We are using SOAP.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

I've seen so many issues on the list related to 802 HP's and BES 4.1.7.x issues, that I don't want to trade these issues for other issues. Do I wait for a stable 4.1.7.x or 5.x?

I'll be calling RIM, but would really like to hear other's experience...advice.

thanks, Lori

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.