[ngw] OT - rsync

Keith Larson klarson at K12GROUP.NET
Fri Mar 4 15:01:13 UTC 2011

i don't do any authentication at all.  no user, no pw, but i protect it my ip address.  i don't do anything with rsyncd.secrets either.

>>> "MBT Modern" <MBT at aprilaire.com> 3/4/2011 9:58 AM >>>
>>> On 3/4/2011 at 8:53 AM, "Keith Larson" <klarson at K12GROUP.NET> wrote:
<snip>
> check the top of your /etc/rsynd.conf file.  mine looks like this.
>
> uid = 0
> gid = 0
> read only = no
> use chroot = no
>
> #       auth users = user
> #       secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

thanx again - so when you then issue the rsync command from the source, do you use the name that is on the auth user line, and also somehow specify the password? Or - since there is something in the secrets file, does the user not get prompted? But how on your command do you indicate that it is a particular user?

Crikey there are so many options and so many ways to slice even the (apparently) simplest linux commands ...

The information contained in this e-mail and any attached document(s) is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.