[ngw] GW downgrade

Keith Larson klarson at K12GROUP.NET
Sun Mar 27 00:43:47 UTC 2011

now that is someone that really doesn't understand email systems.

>>> Gert <gert at gwcheck.com> 3/26/2011 4:54 PM >>>
They want him to migrate GW8 to Exchange 5.5. ...

Gert

GWCheck Consulting + Media
a Novell Knowledge Partner

www.GWCheck.com
"the best GW website" - Tay Kratzer

"How should I know if it works?
That's what beta testers are for.
I only coded it." - Linus Torvalds

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Gregg A. Hinchman <
Gregg at hinchmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> Lots of tools out there.
>
> First, I found it funny that moving from GW to Exchange is a
'downgrade'.
> That's a good one!!
>
> You can use Messaging Architects M+Archive with Exchange Migration
tool.
>  You can use Quest Tools.  The bigger the GroupWise system the more
painful
> Quest is.  M+Archive's option you archive all (or what you want to
migrate)
> GroupWise data. Then you push it into Exchange -all or some. And when
your
> done, you have an Archive solution for Exchange.  Its all run in
scheduled
> batch jobs on server class.  Because of the way it works -you can
literally
> migrate an entire GroupWise system in a weekend -depending upon size
and
> data. Interconnectivity is not a factor here.
>
> Quest runs mostly on desktops and you can schedule it with batch. But
in a
> large environment, you need to spin up a bunch of workstations each
with the
> Quest Migrator on it.  And then you need to manage each of those
> workstations and the batch jobs running. So its a bit more messy.
Plus when
> your done -the Quest tool is basically thrown away. Because of the
way it
> works -you will migrate mailboxes for weeks and therefore have to
deal with
> 'interconnectivity' between the systems.  Size and data migrated is a
factor
> here as well.
>
> Price on M+Archive is cheaper than Quest tool -for migration.
>
> I would say -check them both out.
>

> Take Care.
>
> Gregg A. Hinchman
> Consultant
> Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com
> www.HinchmanConsulting.com
> A Novell Consulting Partner
> 317.329.0288 Office
> 413.254.2819 eFax
>
> "Courage is doing what is right."
>
> "Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist
ones.
> All systems of thought are guiding means, not absolute truth."  Thich
Nhat
> Hanh, Vietnamese monk.
> >>>
> From: Alan Downs<alan at precise-computer.com>
> To:ngw at ngwlist.com
> Date: 3/26/2011 9:38 AM
> Subject: [ngw] GW downgrade
> I have a customer who put out an RFP to downgrade from GW to
Exchange. When