[ngw] GroupWise 8.0.2 Tuning for NW

Tim Heywood tim at nds8.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 19:14:11 UTC 2011

But he will with the later of the two you sent me

--
Tim Heywood
NDS8

Office:  +44 (0) 131 538 8202
Mobile:  +44 (0) 7974 134264

Gert <gert at gwcheck.com> 11/16/11 3:09 PM >>>
> [...]
> >
> > ;--- Novell Storage Services ---
> > ; See above C:\NWSERVER\NSSSTART.NCF section
> >
> > ;--- Service Location Protocol ---
> > ; nothing
> >
> > ;--- Time ---
> > ; nothing
> >
> > ;--- Traditional File System (optional) ---
> > ;--- Will not adversely effect a non TFS server ---
> > SET Directory Cache Allocation Wait Time = 0.1 sec
> > SET Directory Cache Buffer Nonreferenced Delay = 30 sec
> > SET Maximum Directory Cache Buffers = 200000
> > SET Minimum Directory Cache Buffers = 1200
> > SET Maximum Number Of Internal Directory Handles = 1000
> > SET Maximum Number Of Directory Handles = 1000
> > SET Maximum Record Locks Per Connection = 10000
> > SET Maximum Record Locks = 20000
> > SET Maximum File Locks = 200000
> > SET Read Ahead Enabled = ON
> > SET Read Ahead LRU Sitting Time Threshold = 60 sec
> > SET Minimum File Cache Buffers = 200
> > SET Dirty Disk Cache Delay Time = 0.5 sec
> > SET Maximum Concurrent opens per file and connection = 1000000
> >

> > ;--- Force Changes into the NetWare Registry ---
> > FLUSH CDBE
> >

> > ;=== Other items to take care of ===
> > ; (1)
> > ; Ensure that all AV scanners are disabled for scanning the GW PO, Domain
> > and Gateways file structures.
> > ; If your AV will support it - you can scan the temp storage area for
> > WebAccess attachments.
> > ;
> > ; (2)
> > ; All NetWare servers should have Hyperthreading disabled - the second pipe
> > ; has only 3 steps as opposed to the primary that has 7 - net result for a
> > ; NetWare server is ~17% slow down (Windows folk noticed this 4 years
> > later)
> > ; To disable Hyperthreading - modify the BIOS of the server
> > ;
> > ; (3)
> > ; With NetWare 6.5 SP8 there is a new option that will improve the speed of
> > ; the POA in normal work, and dramatically improve performance of a GWCheck
> > ; contents check.  The option is based on a new NSS switch that disables
> > ; "atime" and "diratime" on a volume.  As GWCheck touches/reads each blob
> > ; three times, the metadata for atime and diratime is updated three times
> > ; or in other words for each blob check we have 6 writes
> > ;
> > ; NSS /NoATime=GWVolumeName
> > ;
> > ; If you need to re-enable the ATime feature, use this command:
> > ;	 NSS /ATime=GWVolumeName
> > ;
> > ; (4)
> > ; If your server is dedicated to GW, Set your hard disk controller
> > Read/Write
> > ; ratio to 80/20, if possible, most controllers can only be set to 75/25.
> > ; Most disk controllers are set at 50/50 as their default R/W ratio.
> > ; GW is mostly doing index read in small chunks of data.
> > ; The GW average number of reads is 4 times more than writes.

The information contained in this email is intended for the person to
whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. You should not copy, retain, forward or disclose its
contents to anyone else, or take any action based upon it, if it is
not addressed to you personally. If the message is received by anyone other
than the addressee, please notify the sender and delete the message.

NDS8 does not accept responsibility for changes made to this
message after it was sent. Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to
avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of
this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data.