[ngw] Dynamic Storage Technology and GroupWise Archives

Elbert LaGrew Elbert.LaGrew at katun.com
Wed Nov 23 15:33:07 UTC 2011

Hmmm.  If that is the limitation of the policy, then would it follow, that no matter what is done that you would end up putting in the path?  So we would need to find a way to put everything into one directory.

Fortunately, that is possible. If they all had rights to one directory where they could place their archives.  Once created, their users rights could be modified and restricted  to just their archive.  In that way you could have say, a directory called f:\archive  They would only see and be able to write to f:\archive\[TheirUniqueArchiveName]

I've done this in the past on NetWare and it worked slick...however, it does take a few extra steps to implement and we were installing a new GW system from scratch, so to do this in retroactively would still require a lot of initial work, but once done, might be at least one way of doing it.

--El

>>> On 11/23/2011 at 9:22 AM, in message <4ECCBB57020000050002291A at lx-mail01.kcumb.edu>, "Patrick Hasenjager" <PHasenjager at kcumb.edu> wrote:

I would still have to type in the path to each and every archive, because the policy requires paths from the root of the DST volume.

>>> On 11/23/2011 at 9:20 AM, "Elbert LaGrew" <Elbert.LaGrew at katun.com> wrote:

Have people move the archive directory to a common location in their home folders.  That is what we do here.  Then we have the location locked in their cleint settings so as to take away their propensity to wander.

Not saying that is the easiest way, but it certainly is the most sane way.  I.T. has got to set some standards if things are expected to work as designed.

--El

>>> On 11/23/2011 at 9:11 AM, in message <4ECCB8D1020000050002290F at lx-mail01.kcumb.edu>, "Patrick Hasenjager" <PHasenjager at kcumb.edu> wrote:

That's kind of what I want to do.  I know each archive directory will have a folder with "of???arc" where ??? is the user's FID.  Unfortunately, DST needs to have the full path to the directory, and wildcards are not allowed.

I guess it's back to the drawing board.  If anyone comes up with an ingenious way to do this, let me know!

PATRICK HASENJAGER | Network Administrator
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences | Information Technology
phone 816.654.7712 | fax 816.654.7701
email phasenjager at kcumb.edu |  www.kcumb.edu
>>> On 11/23/2011 at 9:08 AM, "Michael Glenn" <MGlenn at cco.state.oh.us> wrote:

Oy. Now that's a problem.

I was going to suggest "stepping outside the box" and dropping a bash script into the host server's crontab that would "touch" all the files within each archive directory with sufficient frequency that DST rules never fire, but now things are a lot more interesting. Perhaps you could do a find that would twig on some unique characteristic of an archive's directory tree and go from there. . . .
:\

>>> "Patrick Hasenjager" <PHasenjager at kcumb.edu> 11/21/2011 21:42 >>>
The problem is that we do not know what the subdirectory will be (from the root of the DST).  The users are free to determine where they want to store their archives in the home directory.

>>> On 11/21/2011 at 3:05 PM, "Karyn Victory" <KVictory at novell.com> wrote:

You can create a sub-directory restriction (exclusion) in your policy.  See http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/stor_dst_lx/?page=/documentation/oes2/stor_dst_lx/data/bb57lmo.html (11.2.3)

Regards,

Karyn W. Victory
Senior Sales Engineer
Collaboration Lead
Novell North America
513-418-1175
kvictory at novell.com

>>> On 11/21/2011 at 2:48 PM, in message <4ECA569E020000BF0004EE53 at LXsrv53.oru.edu>, "Kevin Benton" <kbenton at oru.edu> wrote:

Since those files are a database and DST isnt supposed to move database files .......
You should be ok.

Sent from my Android Pad using TouchDown