[ngw] Groups In Personal Address Book and DataSync

Danita Zanre dzanre.ngwlist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 20:44:33 UTC 2012

If I understand what you are asking, then this is working as designed. That is it is working as designed from an iOS standpoint not a GroupWise standpoint.

GroupWise system distribution lists can have mail addresses. If you do an LDAP lookup on your iPhone for a list and then look at the details, you will see that it has a valid email address.  Thus, you will not get an error trying to send to a system distribution list from the mail client.

Personal groups do not have email addresses.  iOS Does not understand personal groups. You cannot even create groups natively on an iPhone to email to.  If you type in the name of a group on the to line in iOS, it will complain that the address is not valid but when the message hits the DataSync server DataSync knows to look in the personal address book and will deliver it.

So it becomes a training issue. Novell can't fix it because it's really not a GW problem. And my guess is Apple won't fix it either (except maybe someday adding groups as accepted addressees).

Danita

Sent from my iPhone