[ngw] Groups In Personal Address Book and DataSync

Alan Bens ABENS at go-metro.com
Thu Dec 13 12:54:19 UTC 2012

Thanks Danita that explains a lot.

Al B

>>> Danita Zanre <dzanre.ngwlist at gmail.com> 12/12/2012 3:44 PM >>>
If I understand what you are asking, then this is working as designed.
That is it is working as designed from an iOS standpoint not a GroupWise
standpoint.

GroupWise system distribution lists can have mail addresses. If you do
an LDAP lookup on your iPhone for a list and then look at the details,
you will see that it has a valid email address.  Thus, you will not get
an error trying to send to a system distribution list from the mail
client.

Personal groups do not have email addresses.  iOS Does not understand
personal groups. You cannot even create groups natively on an iPhone to
email to.  If you type in the name of a group on the to line in iOS, it
will complain that the address is not valid but when the message hits
the DataSync server DataSync knows to look in the personal address book
and will deliver it.

So it becomes a training issue. Novell can't fix it because it's really
not a GW problem. And my guess is Apple won't fix it either (except
maybe someday adding groups as accepted addressees).

Danita

Sent from my iPhone